Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a weber 32/38 installed on my 88 wrangler. The Jeep is mostly stock with tires under 30". The problem is that I have like no
acceleration. I floor it and it stumbles and then accelerates. Do I have it set too rich or too lean or what? Could there be another
problem? The Jeep also has a header and a decent muffler.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It is very important to install a adjustable fuel pressure requlator for your Weber to run properly. The problem is that the stock YJ fuel pump delivers fuel at approx. 5.5 psi. The Weber is designed to run at 1.5 to 3.5 psi. Without the regulator, at full throttle you will have MAJOR bogging due to the excessive fuel pressure causing a rich condition. I installed a Purolator (about $18) regulator on my 32/36, set it at 2.5 psi and the problem was solved. An added benefit is now it runs at nearly vertical angles. Most parts stores (Pep Boys, Discount Auto, NAPA) carries this regulator.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It needs to be an adjustable regulator since you may have to play with the fuel psi to get to what works best for you. Just ask the counter guy for and adjustable fuel pressure regulator, several companies make them, and they are not specific to any make of vehicle or carb. I found mine at Discount Auto Parts, on the rack with the fuel filters. It was made by Purolator and only cost about $18. It has a dial on the top, and is adjustable from 1 to 5 psi.

Install it in between the fuel filter and the carb. It will have a flow direction cast on the regulator, so make sure you install it so the fuel flows through the regulator the right way. It is a very light piece, so I just let mine hang on the fuel line. I played around with different settings, and 2.5 psi seemed to be best for me. Most of the complaints I heard about Weber's (and there have only been a few) involved bogging under full throttle. You cannot properly tune the carb until you have consistant fuel pressure in the range the carb is designed for. I had the same problem described, installed the regulator, retuned the carb, and the problem was solved.

Now my Weber ran light years better than the Carter right out of the box, but it really came alive after I regulated the fuel pressure. You will need to readjust the carb after you install it.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.