Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I own a '70 Jeepster with a 225CI V6. I've owned it for about a month and am getting ready to do a tune-up. Hadn't done one before this, since it has been running fine, but figured I should just to get to know my way around it. I got parts from the local shop and asked if they had specs for it. Here's what I was told.

Plugs Autolite #65 Gap-.030
Point Gap-.016
Dwell:26-32 degrees
Timing: 0 degrees BTDC (or in other words right at TDC)

All this seems reasonable except for the timing. Every other car I've owned that I've done my own work on was 5 to 8 degrees or so before TDC. Could someone let me know if this is right and if the other specs are right also?

Also, the distributor cap has the contacts evenly spaced around the cap, does this mean I have an even fire engine (with the weaker crankshaft) as opposed to an odd fire (with only three throws on the crank)? I thought from reading some of the threads that odd fire engines had the contact points in the distributor cap staggered, or am I wrong?

Thanks for your help. Hope to see some of you at the Rogue River meet in August.

-John
Oregon

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
If I remember right, the manual says 0deg. at TDC, BUT, I believe everyone here is running around 5 deg. BTDC (except for a couple with a mysterious 40 eg. TDC). I just adjust around 5 deg. and "sounds" right.

Bobster
o O||||O o
71 Jeepster "Soft Top" Wagon (mangled)
71 "Partster" wagon (donor)
70 Jeepster Half Cab
01 Wrangler
56 F-100 Street Rod

·
Registered
369 Posts
It will depend on what make distributor you have installed. With the AC/Delco the timing should be at 5 degrees BTDC. The Prestolite is set a O degress BTDC. The prestolite is smaller than the delco, if you are wondering how to tell them apart.

Mike, '70 Pick-up
Las Vegas, NV

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Bobster,Sterling & Mike, thanks for the replies, really appreciate the help.

-John M

·
Registered
10,815 Posts
0 was used for emissions purposes. 8 - 10 probably best.
In no event let it go higher than 35 degrees at 3000 RPM with all advance systems working, check with an advance timing light or degree the marks.

The type/brand/make/color of distributor makes no difference as to WHEN the engine wants the spark to ignite the fuel. The distributor could be a little kid with 2 wires or a 4th of July sparkler, as long as he gets it in at the right time.
It's the engine itself that determines the proper timing needed.

98% is Understanding it
"Don't Fix Unless Broke"

1 - 6 of 6 Posts