Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've officially decided not to replace the rear seat in the CJ, and to get a full cargo box instead. I've looked at both the Tuffy and the Jeepbox varieties. I'm really hoping people here have experience with these and can answer a couple questions:

1. Is it a big deal that the Tuffy opens top and back via tailgate? I would think the Jeepbox method of only top opening is superior. A little harder to get stuff out, but you don't have to swing tire/gate open everytime you wanna get into it. My understanding is that the tailgate *has* to be open to get into the Tuffy.

2. Does the Jeepbox bolt in? There is nothing on their website to indicate this that I have seen.

3. Any other general info and experiences about these boxes, or other options I have not considered. The prices I have seen are $198 for Jeepbox, $311 for the Tuffy.

Thanks for the help! I'm pretty tired of all my crap flying around back there. Just a matter of time before I start losing stuff.

Justin

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I was looking into the Tuffy, and I go the impression you could open top only, or both, but top had to be first.
The article I read said you could take the tailgate of the box out, and just use your Jeep't tailgate.
It was on off-road under the jeep tech...
I will look again.

Here it is!

94 YJ 4.0L, 5 speed, 30x9.5 BFG ATs, K&N air filter, tow-hooks, still working...

·
Registered
654 Posts
Why not just go get you some steel and latches and build one yourself. Probly be a hella lot cheaper and everything you want. Thats what I'm bout to do for my 5. The Jeepbox should bolt down, don't see why not. Just get you some self tapping screws and there ya go.

·
Registered
845 Posts
i went to walmart and bought a 'cargo' typr box for around $40. it locks. i have it bolted to a piece of plywood and the plywood bolts down via the seat holes. and it is water proof. it works great for me.

shawn

The cup isn't half full or half empty, it's just twice the size it needs to be!!!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
You might also want to look at things that aren't specifically made for a Jeep but might fit, you will save big bucks. For example, I found a Delta box, the white ones you can find at Wal-Mart, that fits exactly behind the rear seat of a CJ-7, and it cost me less than half of what a Tuffy or other box would have cost.

Brad
ORC Land Use Section Editor
http://www.off-road.com/land
Vice-Pres. Rock Garden 4 Wheelers, Farmington, NM
http://rockgarden.rockcrawler.com

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I found the one that jeep makes at the junkyard, it sits behind the rear seat and was only 10 bucks with the carpet to fit on top, I also scored a brand new sound bar for 20 bucks with all the wiring to go with it.

Bird /wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
I run a JeepBox in the back of mine, and it's very nice. It's a little pricey, but it's a quality piece of work and the folks at JeepBox are top notch. I have a write-up on it out at: http://www.4wdriver.com/reviews/jeepbox.html

My only complaint is that at 5'6", I can sometimes have a hard time getting stuff buried in the box. In these instances, the Tuffy might be a better choice.

Also the you have to drill it, but the JeepBox does bolt in if you wish, but when you mount it, make sure you leave sufficient space to get at the lock with the tail-gate in the up position (almost got caught on that one)

'83 CJ-7 nothing original but the tub and axle tubes

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
cjjeepercreeper and Bird, I think I need to clarify that I'm talking about a box that occupies the WHOLE rear area without the rear seat in at all.

bluseman2a, thanks a lot for the writeup! Sounds like the Jeepbox is the way to go. Other people here pointed out that you can take the tailgate door off the Tuffy and only use the top hatch, but the point for me is I want to have a secure, waterproof box independent of the CJ tailgate.

Thanks for the input everyone!

Justin

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Okay, look at some of the different supply houses, they make what is called a gangbox, they come in all different sizes and they are next to impossible to break into, I have several, in different sizes I use for a varity of storage issuses, they work great, electrical or plumbing supply houses carry them and they have dual recessed locks on most. Hope this helps out. Later.

Bird /wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.