Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Tuffey Center Console Q\'s

Anyone own a Tuffey Sterio Console? Any comments on them?

I've never mounted a cdplayer at that angle before, does it help/hender any? Well if you think about it, just about any place is better than the flimsly mounting spot in my Wrangler. :)

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Re: Tuffey Center Console Q\'s

I have the console for my TJ. You can take a look at it at my site. I don't think its worth the money.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

I have the non-stereo version for mine. I put the CD changer verticle on the passenger side. So far, I've had one person try to pry it open with a screwdriver in a Wal-Mart parking lot. I found the bent up screwdriver on the ground after I went to open it to grab my detachable face for the head unit in the dash. I just hammered it back down, and figured that I could add a piece of iron around the bottom of the lip to keep that from being tried again (but havn't done it yet).

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

I have a Tuffy center counsol in my CJ7. I just installed a Pioneer CD player on an angle. No skips yet. The handbook says that if you install it at a angle of greater than 60 degrees the laser may have some trouble picking up the CD and cause it to skip. I have not had this problem yet. I choose the Pioneer b/c Other friend have used them in their CJ's too.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

A regular cd player can't be mounted in a tuffy. You need a cd changer to monunt at those angles. A cd player doesn't have an arm to hold it in. The newer ones have a little more resistance holding the cd in for skip protection but if you hit a big enoughbump they will drop the cd and you'l have to open up the radio and remove the cd. No sterio installers will instal the deck like that. I know i tried to find one also. Ended up wiht a non radio counsal.

Al
My web page

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

Some of the older Alpine's are pretty sensitive to angles, but the ones made in the last couple years are usually pretty good about it. They usually won't recommend any angle over about 30-45 degrees, but give it a try and see how it works. Happy Jeepin'!

-Spyder

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

Well I may end up swapping my alpine with a friend for a different cd reciever and try to get a cd changer of some sort. Maybe I could mount it in the back somewhere. Ah, forget it.. I'm going back to cassettes. :)

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

If you're going with cassettes, be careful..I kept all mine loose and not in that stupid plastic sleeve thing and ruined them all while off-roading...also, the one that was half in the cassette player got mud into it, that I didn't notice, and when I put it in, it sorta ruined my cassette player, which no longer likes to eject tapes, but will only eject them if you hit eject about ten times, argh. So I'm trying to develop a cover, for the face, you may notice me rambling, it's 4 am here and uhm..yeah
happy jeepin' /wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif

Steve
98, 4", 33's, CB, Winch, Custom tire carrier, Battle Scars

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

you think a CD-chnger will fit in the Tuffy lockboxes (w/o the speaker, and is about 5.25" hi) that sit over the rear wheel wells?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

I bought my 95 YJ used and it came with the center console and the two speaker boxes.
I only had a key to the center console but Tuffy supplied extras for only a few bucks each. The only gripe that I have with them is that the boxes had a great deal of surface rust. My jeep was not abused, I don't understand how such an expensive product could rust so badly. After sanding and priming, Tuffy sold me a matching can of spray paint for $15.
Good Luck,
Gary

G

·
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

I really doubt that a changer would fit in the box that goes over the wheel wells. The smallest changer I know of would only mount side ways, and then you couldn't load it. Of course, I know Jeeps a lot more than I know stereo's so there could be one that fits. I have seen a multi disk (6 I think) in dash head unit, I don't know if it can be mounted at an angle though. I was made by Nakamichi.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

well working in the computer industry and dealing with cdroms on a daily basis yyou can mount sidways if it is still a quality unit it should work fine

G

·
Discussion Starter · #14 ·

Yeah, I have a stereo Tuffy in my CJ-7 and I went through the same thing. Nobody will install a CD player at that angle, and they will advise you not to do it either. I ended up putting a good cassette player in with CD changer controls for future use.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #15 ·

I have one. (WITH A CD PLAYER IN IT) The CD skips LESS than it used to in the dash. I don't know about everyone else but my jeep goes up and down when I hit a bump, not at a 60 degree angle.

I love it. Well worth the money. I have no fears of anyone breaking into it.
I'm planning on mopunting my CB(75wx-hand held unit) to the inside just under the stereo and making a small notch for the mic so I can close down the lid with the mic inside or outside the box.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #16 ·

The world is flat? Nope, thats not right either. I have the console w/a cd player installed and it works fine. Mine skips less than it did in the dash.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #18 ·

Mine is a pioneer, and it is a few years old, but it does have 32times oversampeling.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #19 ·

I have a the Tuffy in my YJ running a Sony Mobile ES CD head and I love it! My only gripes are:

1. It is not waterproof at the hinges or at the bottom of the stereo mount so you will have to baby your Jeep some when rain threatens and keep away from those DEEP water crossings!

2. With a CD head unit you have to be careful with those rare occasions that the player wants to eject and your Tuffy is closed. The CD spitting usually only happens when I disconnect my battery to work on my Jeep and forget to unlock and open the console. It could cause damage to the loading mechanism.

3. When you are trying to snug up the bolts that attach it to your Jeep floor you have to really work with it to keep the box from twisting which will cause some rubbing and sticking when you open and close the lid..

4. If you do damage the unit (see #2) you may have to unbolt the entire console to uninstall your head unit which requires going through all the hassle of complaint #3.

Despite my complaints I wouldn't get anything else. I cannot think of any other way of securing a $500 stereo that would give me the level of security and comfort. If you are unsure about the angle of installation take your CD unit and hook it up without mounting it in the dash. Stick a CD in, let it play and hold it at several different angles and then thump, shake, rattle, etc. My head unit passed with flying colors and I have been happy with my purchase ever since!

Feel free to e-mail me with any questions you might have. Good Luck!

JolyonF
'93 YJ...in the works

G

·
Discussion Starter · #20 ·

I've had the 6" center console (with Radio) in my YJ for about 3 years. Though the YEEP was mainly stock for this period of time, it's used soley for offroading. (and driving to work when the other bugger quits)...

I have a 45lb Black Lab. She likes to step on the console to look out the windshield. She has now succeeded in cracking the front drivers side weld on the console. At my expense, I have to send the unit back from LostAngeles to CO to see if they will warranty it. If they don't, I'll let you know.

A good way to get around the install problem: buy your radio/cd at Circut City, and buy the extendend warranty, and have them install it. CC then has to take the radio out whenever you want to clean or replace the unit. Also, if your womping ruins the radio, you can get a new radio every year or two (for only the cost of the "better" unit. This bad boy is non-pro rated. God knows, a jeep can beat the L out of a radio! Food for thought..

Jon
94 YJ, I6, 3.5" Warn lift, 31.5 BFG A/T
more to come, now that it's paid off!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.