Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
545 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I followed a link on a previous post to a tool company's pipe benders. The ad for their "tube" benders had a warning about using pipe benders with tubes. They are claiming that the way a pipe and tube is measured is different and this will affect the way the metal fits into the die on the bender. Is this just seller's propaganda or is this true? A pipe bender runs about $100 whereas a tube bender runs about $250. Any input?

87 wrangler

·
Official Curmudgeon
5,207 Posts
Tube is OD, pipe is sort of ID. As metals got better, the pipe walls got thinner but they couldn't take it
off of the outside or couplings wouldn't fit and everybody would have to buy new tread dies so they
opened the inside a little.

·
Registered
545 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
But can you bend tubing with a pipe bender? I am trying to put together a roll cage and I'd like to spend the least amount of money on it.

87 wrangler

·
Registered
2,062 Posts
Sure - if you find a tube or pipe that have identical O.D. ......and assuming that all the material (read strength) aspects of the bender(s) are identical. So either order your tubing to match the O.D. of the pipe bender in question or order pipe in an O.D. to match the tubing bender. The metal supplier that you're buying it from should have tables that will give you all the info you need ......of course ......since they more than likely have it sitting around in one form or another ......take a caliper (or a ruler for that matter) to the place and see for yourself.
If you don't match the O.D. of the material with the groove on the bender you'll not get a smooth radius bend (read eggshaped- weaker).

GeeAea

Figures don't lie ....... but liars sure do figure.

·
Official Curmudgeon
5,207 Posts
Ah, the application. I don't think either will work, won't bend the radius small enough. You should
be able to find a shop that can bend it for you or you could buy one of the kits. Either way would be
cheaper than buying the bender.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.