Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need to pull the ((*& carpet our of my CJ and do the tub liner. How well do you have to prep the paint surface before applying the liner? Any good recomendations on brands?

That which does not kill me only makes me stronger (or dumber).

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the guidance. What kind of a job do you get with rolling it on? Versus spraying...it sounds like spraying is kinda messy??

·
Registered
2,563 Posts
I Just finished rolling durobak into my Cj. After a long investigation, Durobak seemed to be the best + colors. Rolling is very messy, but worth it. The few spots I missed masking were a battle of wills bettween the durobak and myself, he durobak almost won except I had a knife /wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif.

When you do apply it, mask everything close to being splashed upon, have a whole area of newspapers by our jeep for the durobak prep. Cover yourself well, only xylene thins the stuff and xylene burns like a **** when it is on your skin.
Otherwise follow Mizu, I did!!

Scott
'85 CJ7______T.H.O.R.
/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif"To Her, OutRageous"
/wwwthreads_images/icons/laugh.gif"Tally-Ho Over the Rocks"

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
We are re-painting our CJ7 last week we painted the underbody black Durbak and the tub floor and walls white(it is snow white by the way).

It does not stick well to raw metal. I suggest priming the raw metal. Also the tub floor was a color change one-gallon does not quite work for a color change. Luckily for us we had some white polyurethane on hand and covered the whole thing.

So either change the color first or buy more than 1 gallon. One gallon should cover if no color change. But it is very thin....

1983 CJ7
Howell Fuel Injection
4.0 Head
/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif

·
Registered
668 Posts
The surface has to be scuffed - the instructions say use "rough" sandpaper - 220 grit. After sanding rub it down with Xylene to make sure all the wax, grease, grit, and grime is gone. If you use black Durabak with no color - it is easier to apply and requires a little thinning with Xylene. I find the colored Duraback to be tougher to get the right consistency - it is more syrup like than thick oil like (colored vs black). Black will color the inside of a tub with one gallon - the colored won't - I do not understand that - but it is true.

I also recommend using the stippled rollers they supply - it works much better and goes on more evenly with out the roller sliding across the surface and not turning.

Hank

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks so far, for all the information!!

I see that I can get Herculiner for about 100.00/gallon at Napa or Kmart or get Durabak from 4wdHardware for 135.00 plus shipping. I will probably go with the Herculiner...Im going with black so color dont matter.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Wait we bought our Durbak out of California and it was the cheapest price we could find. I'm thinking $100.00 a gal. I will ask my husband tonight it may have been $75.00

1983 CJ7
Howell Fuel Injection
4.0 Head

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Excellent, I will wait for further info.

Thanks!!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Ok here is the info:

Paid $89.00 for the Black and $112.00 for the white.

If you pay State tax at your local K-mart you should be even after shipping. I would think that you would be happy with the Durbak.

You will have to ask them about the Roller. We used a Undercoating gun. I am thinking if they offered to supply it my husband said dont bother because he wanted to spray it. I did read in the project by Terry L Howe http://www.off-road.com/jeep/projects/pieces_durabak.htm that they supply a roller.

Lenco Latex Plus
415 "A" Street #101
Daly City, CA 94014
Phone: (650) 756-1814
Fax: (650) 756-1657

The web page for Lenco:
http://www.hooked.net/users/lenco/index.html

GOOD LUCK!!

1983 CJ7
Howell Fuel Injection
4.0 Head

G

·
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks for the info, I sent them a email...we'll see how they do?

·
Registered
4,143 Posts
I pulled everything out of the tub, used an electric sander to take up all the paint and scuff up the bare metal to give the Durabak a grip. I wiped everything up with Xylene until the rags came up clean. I rolled and painted the Durabak in and never needed to thin it (I used black.) It is peeling up now since I rarely have the top on and the UV rays have done their damage. I'll be buying another gallon of Black Durabak to coat the new wheel-wells and fender's I'll be having made and to patch up the interior. Then lay on some thick clearcoat to protect the Durabak from the suns rays. As for exterior paint...if I can find a marine paint to match my Khacki...or a better looking green that what I've got- I'll use that. Marine paint is so much more resistant to scratches, corrosion, and the elements that it makes automotive paint look like spraypaint....

My Jeep is just a leaky submarine in disquise

G

·
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
It was obvious that the Durabak has a hard time sticking to bare metal. When we sprayed it on it would separate at the bare metal parts after a few coats it eventualy covered by the 3-4th coat. lucky for us we started on the undercoat. When we sprayed the tub we used a can of primer on the raw metal spots and Durabak covered much better.

So from what your are saying the sunlight damages the paint? If so what happens to these guys that coated their complete Jeep?

1983 CJ7
Howell Fuel Injection
4.0 Head

1 - 14 of 14 Posts