Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
try\'n\'this again

i posted this earlier and it didn't show. Anyways, i've been off a while, hope ya' missed my questions :)
here's another one. I have a carb problem: i let my wife drive my CJ around the neighborhood last night and when she pulled it in the driveway it died. thought it was the choke stuck, but gas was flowing from the carb onto the manifold. I have a big (too big) q-jet. i think it is my floats stuck but not sure, what would be the easiest remedy, I know that some of you could solve this in the dark so please school me. I went to get a Haynes Rochester book but they were out. I had a friend of mine adjust the floats, and before this it was running so great, I could almost have it on two wheels and it wouldn't even so much as cough. Damn These Jeeps
Thanks guys
Ryan

77 cj5 sorta, V8, 4"lift, 33's, lotsa miss'n metal

·
Registered
2,066 Posts
Re: try\'n\'this again

When I had a q-jet on my blazer it used to do weird things out wheelin. A buddy of mine opened the hud, pulled the air cleaner, covered the throat with his hands, and had me rev it up a little. When the motor would almost die, he would move his hands away. He would do this a few times and the carb would work great. Think it was something clogged in the carb, the vacuum produced without supplemenatl air would pull it out. Worth a try.

pbm
74 cj5,304,t18,2.46 ts d20,30f,44r,soa,MORE buggy front,35's,Rci's,5pt,full cage,air,etc.

Support Search and Rescue.......Get Lost! /wwwthreads_images/icons/shocked.gif

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

i cant do anything with it, it just dumps gas. I just took it off. I hope someone can post with what i should do. I searched but could'nt find anything to help.thanks for the input "pbm". The carb was just rebuilt, and i assume the floats are stuck because the gas is coming out the pump on top and on the left side as well just behind the choke-i think. I just don't want to tear into it and mess anything up, like i said it was running excellent till now.
until tomorrow,
thanks.

77 cj5 sorta, V8, 4"lift, 33's, lotsa miss'n metal

·
Registered
2,066 Posts

When I had float sticking problems, I would wrap the float bowl with the handle end of a screwdriver to hopefully get it to come loose. With it off the vehicle I would pull the thing apart and check if something got stuck in there, or if the float is hanging up on something, and float level.

pbm
74 cj5,304,t18,2.46 ts d20,30f,44r,soa,MORE buggy front,35's,Rci's,5pt,full cage,air,etc.

Support Search and Rescue.......Get Lost! /wwwthreads_images/icons/shocked.gif

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

On a previous Q-Jet that would happen to me occasionally and I would give it some hard taps on the carb body with the handle of a screwdriver and it would eventually free the stuck float. I started to happen more frequently though so I got a new (rebuilt) carb. I put a kit in a Q-Jet once and decided I didn't enjoy working on them. The next time I have serious problems with them I going to injection. A rebuilt carb is a real gamble, but it is the cheapest route, I think I paid $130.00 at a major parts chain. I feel your pain. Good luck.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

My Motorcraft did the same thing a while back. I didn't know what the heck was wrong! I spoke with a neighbor who told me to whack it with a hammer. It hasn't done it again since (knock on wood).

canis
'82 CJ-7/360/727/D300/cobra, M.O.R.E. shackles, 1/2" steel bumper, 1" body lift and lots of ideas!

'96 ZJ - 4.0L/42re/np242/optima/cobra and other goodies

·
Registered
13,432 Posts

Cj, I think you've got the problem isolated. This take the hands of a sergon and the eys of an eagle and the patience of Job.

Take the Q-jet apart enough to physically see the float. Drain the gas from the bowl. Now play a little with the float. See how much bind is in the float arm. Is the float sinking, sloshing or heavy? Is it brass and half full of gas. Is it other material and saturated. Is there gunk in the bowl that is binding the float? Can the float stick hit the sides of the bowl? Is anything on the TOP of the float that could cause problems like a gasket leak? Does the needle fit in the valve nicly, is it nice an shiney or dull and corroded? Is the seat nice and shiney or corroded. Look for ANYTHING that would cause the float not to ... float. If anything even looks suspicious, check, double check, and tripple check item and make sure it's OK, or corrrected before you move on the other observations. There also may be more than one problem in the float bowl, so you will have to find them all!

You will just have to sit down and look, look, look and then that "Eureka! I found it!" moment will come. The better half has already been let down once by the Jeep... and they usually do not tolerate a secod time. So be a hero, go out and fix that Float. I have also found that in this partictular fix it is not a bad idea to involve the better half, they have better attention to detail and Eagle Eyes....nothing escapes them. It also give them a stake in the fix and a little responsibility for the repair.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts