Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My truck is dying like it has a fuel problem. I was going down the interstate and it bucked a couple of times and died--luckily I was able to start it in neutral. Then it did it a couple more times and it finally it died all together. I pulled over and after a 5 minutes of sitting there it cranked. I limped back to the office. I'm going to change the fuel filter this afternoon when I get home and see if that's the problem. BTW, I can here the fuel pump priming when I turn the key on plus it's only got 10,000 miles on it. Also there are no codes showing. Any suggestions besides this?

Thanks alot,
Brian

·
Registered
2,360 Posts
Did you check the pressure at the fuel rail? that would tell you if the problem's the pump/filter.
However, i wonder........
You were driving down the road in the heat, and it stalled. And it didnt run right again until the engine cooled down. Do the 95 trucks still have the tfi module near the distributor, or are they on the fender?

G

·
Fuel pump, fuel pump relay, TFI (even if fender mounted I don't see why it *couldn't* fail), and EEC relay (don't overlook this one). Could even be TPS but that should show a code.......

Do you hear the pump priming immediately after it dies?

·
Registered
2,360 Posts
shilo, i didnt mean it wouldnt fail, just that i would think that the ones mounted closer to the enigne would be more prone to failing due to the extra heat

G

·
Ha it is that BroncoAir you installed last week

Sounds like fuel pump/filter to me. How is your gas tank venting? Next time this happens SLOWLY open up the gas tank (watch out for spraying gas) and see if that makes a difference.

You didn't monkey around with any vacuum hoses while installing the BroncoAir did you?

dc

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for everyones response. I changed the fuel filter at work yesterday and it drove home perfect. I installed my arb airline to my rear end last night and I wanted to make sure it was locking up correctly. Well, I went to crank it to air up and it wouldn't crank. I thought it was for sure the fuel pump now but I could still here it priming like normal. It turns out it was my msd that went bad. I've had it for 11 years so I'm happy. Ironically, I was just bragging on my msd in another post a week ago.

Thanks again everyone,
Brian

1 - 10 of 10 Posts