Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Trouble removing YJ\'s Bumperetts

I am trying to take off my YJ's Bumperetts and I can not figure out how to get at the inner nuts for the inner set of bolts. I was able to get the two outer bolt off.

Part of the problem might be the jeep tow hitch I have on my YJ. It is one of the Factory installed Class A hitches. Just a bar that bolt on below the bumperetts. I wasn't able to remove the hitch because the larger 1/2" bolts are really seized on (maybe I need a ratchet extention.) If I can't get to bolt off by tomorrow I am going to have the Jeep dealership remove the hitch. I don't have grinders and none of the local shops are reliable.)

Once the hitch is off will I we able to access the inner Bumperett nuts? Or will I have to remove the Gas tank skid plate to access the bolts?

Thanks.

Moss Green '94 YJ
4.0L 5sp.-manual.
2.5 Old Man Emu
32x11.50 BFGMud

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Re: Trouble removing YJ\'s Bumperetts

i didn't have to remove my gas tank skid plate to remove my cute little bumperettes!/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif anything that ends in "ettes" is history on my jeep! well maybe brunettes/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif i don't recall any prob getting them off. i also had an after-market tow hitch which i also removed. all were on when i bought it. my jeep isn't a tower but a towee. don't you dare go to the dealer to remove the hitch or you will be banned from the board/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif shoot plenty of wd40 type juice on nuts/bolts and take your time. get the right tools and go for it- you can do it!

steve

·
Registered
532 Posts

i had a Drawtight hitch on my yj, and had to remove it to get at my bumperette backsides. i was tempted to grab the grinder, but too many sparks near the tank, even for me.. Use lots of liquid wrench and an impact socket on a half inch breaker bar..it'll give or it'll give up..

J ust
E mpty
E very
P ocket

·
Registered
7,289 Posts

Good comment on the brun"ettes" Steve. Only one problem. My blonde jeepwife wouldn't appeciate it too much. But then I'm just guessing./wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif

Oh yea...Are you too stuck up to come chat anymore?/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif
http://www.popcorn.com
room swbjeep

http://home1.gte.net/rythem/davescj7.htm
"Get your finger outta there"

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

yo dave-
stuck -up? nah, never!/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif
i read where the old voice chat site took a dump and maybe pontiac and or you or jeepgod or all of the above got this new popcorn site up and i haven't yet enduldged!hows your back coming along? when can you wheel? i just can't get enough windshield time since the weather is so nice and the days are longer! you know tomorrow is fri and the wheelin begins again! later dude!

steve

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

heh... well. I won't go to the dealer ship. :)

I think that an extention should do the trick, and a nights rest.

-Hays

Moss Green '94 YJ
4.0L 5sp.-manual.
2.5 Old Man Emu
32x11.50 BFGMud

·
Registered
7,289 Posts

Backs pretty good Steve. Hard tops, off....35's and soft doors are on. Oh, it's killing me. I still am not allowed to drive. I've cheated a few time for a quick spin to the store, but thats all. Go to the docs on the 10th. Should be driving time after that.(also good and bad..back to work.)

http://home1.gte.net/rythem/davescj7.htm
"Get your finger outta there"

·
Registered
451 Posts

Do yourself a favor and turn those things into rear corner armor when you take them off.

Just cut off the flat mounting surfaces and then cut them in half. They match the rear corner body roll and just a few bolts and big washers give you some cheap armor. One bumperette works for both sides, so you can make another set for your another Jeeper.

John
95.5 YJ with "stuff"
94 GMC Z71 with less "stuff"
http://SonsofThunder4x4.com

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

That is a cool idea. I finally got one of the bumperettes off this morning in the parking lot of Sears. I have been getting tools. I finally have enough tools to do almost anything on my Jeep.

Anyway... all was going well with removing the towing bar when one of my bolt broke. I need to drill out the bolt that is in the frame so I can install my new bumper; however, I have never drilled out a bolt before.

Any tools I should pick up or special bits? The bolt was almost half way when it broke. I didn't know if there is a way to keep the threads in ok condition. Or if I should just drill the bolt all the way out including the threads and just get a new bolt that is slightly larger. I saw a bolt removing kit at Sears… but it looks like it would put a lot of stress on the drill. Right now I only have my DeWalt drill… which is pretty good, but I was told that the clutch will burn out easily. Plus it is a cordless drill which make is less powerful…

Let me know if anyone has thought on the matter.

Moss Green '94 YJ
4.0L 5sp.-manual.
2.5 Old Man Emu
32x11.50 BFGMud

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

I saw Sears new bolt removal stuff in a flyer last week. 2 kits. I'm real tempted to go buy both.

Joey

G

·
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

I cut mine off with a torch---be careful how you point the torch so it doesn't blow sparks toward the gas tank. Only takes about a minute and didn't leave a mark.!

FOR SALE:D35,4.11,posi.FOR TRADE: 35x12.50 SSR wanted 35x14boggers.John-89YJ-350V8,35" SSR's, EFI,revolvers,shackle reversal,SYE,cv shaft, 4.11,locked front D30, rocklock,8.8,2"body, TJ flares.

·
Registered
4,183 Posts

I just had to use a nice long extesion or 2 and and wobble/ socket u-joint in there and i got out the the bolts, they wern't fun but that's all the fun of working on jeeps.
BarrelRoll

97 TJ 30" ko's stock but not for long

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.