Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, this should be a simple thing. So I thought originally....

I need to find a replacement bearing for my axle. 30 Front from 1979 Jeep CJ7. Right side the bearing from the bottom of the hub cup to the spindle.

Part number Torrington Y-246, changed to part number B-246 which was discontinued in 1996. I have tried local suppliers, INA and Timkin, and sent a few web queries to other companies. No one can find this bearing.

Sizes
Bore 1.5"
OD 1.875"
Width 3/8"

Torrington does stock one that is 1/2 wide, but will that work? It is 1/8" too wide. B248.

Sureley there is a source out there for this bearing. I guess it is difficult because this had Quadratrac and PO added Warn hubs to front and part time to Xfer case. So maybe that is why I am having trouble.

Anyone have an idea on a source to get this? Or will that bearing that is 1/8" larger work?

·
Registered
5,512 Posts
[ QUOTE ]

Sizes
Bore 1.5"
OD 1.875"
Width 3/8"

[/ QUOTE ]

Those look fishy to me... IOW, I'm 99% sure the outer race, bearings, & inner race are more than the .375" shown... that would mean each side of the bearing (inner,bearing, & outer) is only 3/16" thick? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/30.gif

Perhaps your attempting the bearing using bogus numbers? Double check your measurements! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

·
Registered
3,833 Posts
are you talking about the Spindle bearing?

number 15 in this picture

If not, which bearing in the diagram?

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well, Lets see,
My measurements
Bore, from where it mounts to spindle 1.496
OD 1.873 from calipers on bearing
Width .368 from outer race edge.

Timkin's parts book lookup says
Bore 1.5
OD 1.875
Width 3/8"

MB - None of the above. This bearing goes inbetween the Warn hub housing to the spindle

·
Registered
3,833 Posts
then you're talking just the Hub Bearing.. Inner or Outer? and neither of those is 3/8" wide....

there are three bearings in the hub. the little bastard inside the spindle "Spindle Bearing" then your two hub bearings, an Inner and an Outer... or at least as I recall.....

·
Registered
5,512 Posts
[ QUOTE ]
MB - None of the above. This bearing goes inbetween the Warn hub housing to the spindle

[/ QUOTE ]

Now I'm cunfused! I had no idea there were bearings inside inside a lockout... I'm with Brent... one inside the spindle, and 2 inside the hub ("wheel bearings")...

Could you be looking for the rollers/pins for a Warn locking hub?

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yes the roller pins I guess. I forgot that it didnt have the inner race, just open pins. I ended up searching the floor until I found all the missing pins(bearings). I thought for sure I could find a new one. Plan B, worked, luckily I could find all the pins.... Thanks.

·
Official Historian
8,339 Posts
There are no loose bearings in the hub or spindle. All 3 of those bearings are caged. We still don't know what you are working on though.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

·
Official Historian
8,339 Posts
That looks like part of the lockout hub to me.

·
Registered
3,833 Posts
I've still not seen one of those kinds of bearings in a CJ D30 locking up... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

1 - 11 of 11 Posts