Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Do any of you TJ owners have a little trouble when your filling up your TJ. I just got mine and when i filled it up for the first time I noticed the damn gas hardly goes into the tank. half of the gas was spilling out. I had to move the nozzle around and get it just right for the gas to go in. And even then I couldnt press the nozzle all the way down cuz then it would stop pumping.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I had the same problem.I just pulled the nozzle out a little and was able to fill up without the handle shutting off.I think I've read about a fix somewhere but I dont remember where.Good luck

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I just pull out the nozzel a little. Some times I twist the nozzel too. Common complaint.

Jeff Niwa
98 TJ Sport
3" Teraflex System

· Official Curmudgeon
5,207 Posts
I have the same problem with my CJ and even worse since I moved the fill from the rear to the side. At
some pumps it will hardly take gas, at a different pump it takes it fine. Since nobody sells leaded fuel
anymore, couldn't we go back to the larger fill tube?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
If you are patient enough you can get about 21 gallons in that 19 gal tank too, but it takes a while. I have noticed that if I pull the hose out about an inch or so, the gas goes in more easily. Doesn't take quite as long to put the 21 gal in the 19 gal tank that way.

Doug '97 TJ
My Web Site

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I insert the pump all the way then twist it to the 10 or 2 oclock position - this allows me to fill at full volume :)
Try it! Hope it helps.

Cheers
Wooders

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
If your TJ is still under warranty, I'd take it to the dealer and have it checked out. The early TJs had this happen alot. There is an updated fuel tank that helped on the ones we had. The filler tube may be restricted also, they can check it for you. Good luck.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.