Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2,137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Trip to Moab - through wife, Jacque\'s eyes ...

I asked my wife, Jacque if she ever finished her memoir on her first Jeep adventure... she's always writing and e-mailing them to her friends, mother and our son in college. I got a big kick and belly laugh out of reading it ... so I thought some of you might enjoy it too /wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif.
So here it is, verbatim ... and with her permission.

[Untitled]
... but I call it "Jacque's Moab Adventure"

"I knew it was going to be a different camping trip when I opened the cooler John had dug from the Dungeon and it was full of beer. I had 3 inches to pack 2 1/2 days of food.
We used to go camping quite a bit and had developed "The Camping Checklist". Some of the items on the list I thought we didn't need anymore. One if them was a lantern. Since it's daylight until 9 PM in June, I thought we could dispense with the light and the weight not to mention the hissing sound. Unfortunately we did not get to our destination until 10 PM. We had to unload by truck headlights. We also kept the car running since a dead battery is a serious inconvenience out here. This upset our neighbor who came bounding into our camp with a headlight on her forehead. She wanted to know when we were going to turn off our engine as it was very disturbing. So then instead of a lantern or headlights, we fixed dinner to two little bug candles and a large campfire which unfortunately used most our firewood we brought for 2 days' cooking. There are other items that were on the "Camping Checklist" I ignored. A spatula. a hatchet, coffee pot, sufficient water and I forgot about ice. We had to make a trip into Moab in the morning to get ice - but hey - the beer is cold!
The Jeep off-roading culture is foreign to me. You couldn't call me a voyeur - more like a reluctant participant. "Some Jeep Chic you are", says John. The Jeeps encountered in a place like Moab differ from the showroom Jeeps. In fact those Jeeps are looked at with disdain. They're bought not built. Toyotas are greeted with similar feelings.
John has spent the last four years building the Princess. Every part of her body and engine has been judged, rejudged and probably replaced a couple of times. The Princess started as a 1983 Jeep. John took her down to the frame and started again. Her age is indiscriminate now because her parts are a combination of rebuilt, new and customized. Some of her attributes are lockers, super low gears, heavy duty suspension, lifts and more.
Having NEVER been off-roading before, John told me about a real easy trail by the river he would take me on first. It wouldn't have anything to scare me and would be beautiful, too. Here's what really happened… On our way to the store to get ice (remember I forgot ice?), John recognized Jeff's Jeep. Jeff is a friend from a Jeep Internet site. They exchange pictures of all their dare doings so John could tell Jeff's Jeep from all the other Jeeps in Moab. It looked industrial. John yelled and Jeff and his two other Jeeper friends stopped. Jeff invited us to go along with them on their first run - Hell's Revenge! John was all for it. We got our ice taken care of and went to the start of the trail.
We got to the start of the trail. There are cute little flames stenciled on the rock as trail markers. That wasn't my first clue though of things to come. A large sandstone mountain going straight up with the little flames was my clue. I got out of the Jeep.
I said "No way am I going up that! I'll walk!"
John said "It's about 14 miles. Get in the Jeep!"
I got in and buckled up. Everybody wears their seatbelts in Jeeps like these. I couldn't speak due to the wad of fear in my throat. By the time we got up the first of 28 gates - the top of that mountain - I was hyperventilating. After that I resigned myself to whatever fate would do to me. By gate 5 I thought I had seen it all but then there was another slickrock mound that was twice as steep and 5 times higher than that first little hill. It was called Giant Slickrock Dome or something like that. The Princess never missed a beat of course. She has full lockers and gears like a tractor. Once in a while when I could, I would look out on the most beautiful scenery in the world. 360 degrees panoramas.
We caught up to Jeff's little group about gate 8. There was Jeff and his girlfriend Kathy. Michael and his wife Lisa in their Jeep and Ron in his Jeep and they were all from Las Vegas, Nevada. Their Jeeps all had tires that had tread on the sides in addition to tread on the bottom. Ron had a camera set up to tell him what his off tires were going over. Jeff's Jeep has aircraft landing lights inside his wheel wells and mounted on his axles so he can drive trails at night. Every gismo known isn't enough.
These people have no fear factor. Michael took his Jeep into a "toilet bowl" which is nothing but a deep pit in the sandstone. He had to be winched out. Jeff got stuck in the Escalator which is first a 15 foot straight up path followed by a V shaped wedge where you have to drive along the sides of the hole - which is why they have treads on the sides of their tires. He ended up wedged in the hole nose up and tipped on his side. No big deal - somebody winched him out, too.
I was an old pro by the time we finally got out of there. At least I could breathe normally again.
Later that evening, Jeff would break a U joint on Potato Salad Hill and John would break an axle on Dump and Bump. The Princess made it up Dump and Bump before the axle broke though. John said he's getting stronger axles next.
All these guys spend their off time building and fixing their Jeeps. They trust their machinery with their lives. Jeff has had 4 hard roll-overs he told me. I asked him what a soft roll-over was and he said that's just when you tip over. He doesn't count those.
John was going to take me on an easy trail called Fins and Things yesterday morning. The princess couldn't go though with a broken axle which was just fine with me because I looked up the trail in the book and it said "D" for difficult. I asked John just what he thought was easy about that trail and he said anyone could probably make it in a stock vehicle. Oh yeah.
We came limping home. Until John installs a new axle I don't have to worry about my life.
I did get promoted to "Jeep Chic Trainee" though."

JAF
http://www.monsterslayer.com/jeep

G

·
Re: Trip to Moab - through wife, Jacque\'s eyes ...

I love it! I think Jacque should be our official Jeepchick-spouse correspondent...sort of like Paul Harvey...so we can hear the "rest of the story"!!
Keep'em comin I say!!

·
Registered
269 Posts

"Jeff's jeep looks industrial" now thats an understatement!!!!!! Good stuff, man, she'll make a great jeepchick!

46cj2a beater and pile 0 parts.
75 cherokee parts pile

·
Registered
6,394 Posts

/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif A GREAT write-up, John! Jacque writes very well. I loved that "Industrial Jeep" comment, and the cool/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif perspective that Jacque has./wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif Tread-on-the-sides..... we think it's normal, but it's noticed by an "outsider". GOOD STORY......!!!!/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif I was thinking about your axle shaft and it occurred to me that what Jeepers do is EXACTLY what we did at FMC Corporation in the sixties when the M113 APC program was in full swing. They would give the tank to the test driver and when he finally broke it they made THAT PART stronger. And this went on and on till it was harder and harder to break the tank./wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif

CJDave
Quadra-Tracs modified While-U-Wait by the crack moonguy/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif Quadra-Trac Team./wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif

G

·

I don't know JAF it doesn't sound to good. She sounds a little confused about her future in wheeling. However, I do agree with the BBS correspondent comment by Morgan. The rest of the story is in many instances important /wwwthreads_images/icons/laugh.gif!!!!

G

·

I really enjoyed the story, hope there are many to come. Hells Revenge is my favorite trail in Moab, but not one I would want to take an uninitiated Jeep Chick on, Jacque is a real trooper. I'll bet she won't forget that day the rest of her life.

·
Registered
1,125 Posts

Jaffer, please pass my compliments on to Jacque. That is a great write-up. It's nice to get a different perspective once in a while. It'll be interesting to see if her point of view changes as she becomes an experienced Jeep chic.
Now we need to hear from H8monday.

Rick
80 CJ7
258 T176 TR upgrade

·
Registered
360 Posts

Excellent story! After all of that though, I really hope that she truely enjoyed it. I always feel very lucky that my wife enjoys the hobby enough to go on every run with me./wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif

RocknCJ /wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif

for those who would trade a little freedom,
for a little security
...will soon find they have neither. /wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif

G

·

Great write up. I love the way she refers to band of 4 wheelers as "Jeff's little group".
My wife does the same thing when she talks about my "little adventures" or when
I go out with my "little 4 wheel buddies" What a hoot!
She tries to compare my upgrades on my rig to her painting her toenails. She says...
"when I put hardener on them and paint them, I'm very careful not to bump or scratch them"
"Why can't you do the same with your Jeep?" /wwwthreads_images/icons/laugh.gif
Sometimes you just can't help but love them, but you gotta admit, their perspective
is so enjoyable!
Congrats to you and Jacque on what sounds like a great trip and one heck of a great
attitude on your wife's part! May you both enjoy many more trips together.
-Gus-

90YJ 4.2L NV4500 456:1 33's Twin ARB's XD9000i - San Diego, Cal.

·
Registered
900 Posts

JAF,

I don't know if you see it coming, but there is a real future for you and Jacque doing a 4 wheel publication......

Your always awesome pictures and...

her great writing. Sounds to me like she was duly impressed with the rigs. It's really fun to read stuff like that.

-raymo
4.6 Stroker Scrambler

·
Registered
1,445 Posts

excellent write up, made me feel as though I were there, take her on more rides and get her to do the write ups, she does a good job, I alos like her perspective on things...Wheel on Jacque, on to Sledge Hammer!!!!

82 Scrambler/360/T5/D300/4" SUA/AMC20/Rear Discs/Somers Bros Axles/D30/3:73's/Lockrite Lockers.
2001 Bare Stock Trendy Jeep Sport (everyday driver)
Smithville, Texas
Member TX4X4 Cyber Club

·
Registered
1,169 Posts

Good stuff, John. I think she should be writing for 4WD&SUV or whichever rag it is that has/had the column written "from the pasenger seat". Seriously. It sounds like you've run her through a few terminology training seminars too.
BTW: Finally let the wife have her way and traded in the van on Monday for a new Durango. She's happier than a pig in slop. Just gotta take it back in a couple of weeks and have it outfitted for towing.

·
Registered
2,137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

Glad the home front is stable, Rodney /wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif.
Consideration and compromise make for a happier enviroment.
Jacque and I celebrated our 25th year of marrage this year /wwwthreads_images/icons/shocked.gif!
I guess I ought to keep her.

Thanks to all for your encouragment and kind words for her writing endevors./wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif.

JAF
http://www.monsterslayer.com/jeep

·
Registered
1,748 Posts

HA /wwwthreads_images/icons/laugh.gif/wwwthreads_images/icons/laugh.gif/wwwthreads_images/icons/laugh.gif

That's great! I love the comments from someone who is unfamiliar with why we do this. /wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif

The industrial comment was the best one, by far! /wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif/wwwthreads_images/icons/laugh.gif

If you think of that situation, it probably went something like..

Jeff: "This is my Jeep."
Jacque (to herself): "...umm...dude, that's a bulldozer..." /wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif

HA
Pete

88 YJ - trails/beach trips only!/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif
79 4WD F250-hauler/tower of my toys
70 Jaguar E-type - the best car England ever made. /wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif
90 Honda CRX - Daily pavement-pounder. 42 MPG. /wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif

·
Registered
4,447 Posts

Jaffer,
Jacque's write up is awsome, and should be submitted to the off road mags for publishing. It really gives a feel for the fears and awe of extreme offroading, through the eyes of an average person. Her feelings of almost overwhelming fear, right at the surface, brings back long forgotten memories of my first scarry forays into steep dangerouse climbs. Anyone who can not relate to her feelings, is really missing out on, the raw emotion of overcomming deep set instinctive fears.
We must have seemed like, calm, methodical, maniacs, in her eyes, and on a day when, I at least was feeling very apprehensive, all day long, as I became familliar with new eqiuptment.
I can hardley wait for the "Jacque, wheels Wrecking Ball" edition. Although her feelings as penned on her first day wheeling, will never be matched again, as know she knows what to expect.
Awsome writing Jacque, I hope we will see you out there often in the future. Your memoires are priceless, thanks for the peek into your thoughts.

Jeff
89 YJ
Wow, you can get a nice tan on your arms, from welding with no shirt on.

G

·

Jacque,

What a great write up. This is Stooby's wife, Vanada writing. I can relate to the fear of a "Jeep Chick Trainee". Stooby has jumped headlong into a few situations that we "just" managed to get out of while offroading. Lots of mud pits, lots of "puddles" that were deeper than he professed them to be...lots of tree branches that managed to make their way through my window (it's only ever my side), a WHOLE lot of vertical trails - and our jeep is basically stock. You've gotta' admire their enthusiasm.

Climb that sheer cliff?...Bring it on!!

Keep up the adventures!

Vanada
Nanaimo, BC

'88 Sahara, 4.2, auto, 4.0 head swap (finally), no trac bars.

G

·

That's a great write-up! I look forward to being able to get my wife on her first "trail" /wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif She likes the Jeep, but she see's the pictures of some of these trails and says "No way!". I'm easing her into trails using her 4 wheeler. She doesn't have any problems running rocky trails or climbing hills with it, because she's the rider and not the passenger. Hmm, maybe I'll finish building this Jeep for her and get me another one.... /wwwthreads_images/icons/laugh.gif Definitely let yourwife know that she was a real trooper for going through that with you! Great perspective on running trails... Bret

'56 CJ-5, 283, t-90/d18, 25/44, 32's on 15x10's,no lift yet, cage.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts