Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking for more info on the Tri-County brake rod kit. I understand it improves the brake leverage on a CJ7. Does Tri-County have a web site? Or who carries the kit? Has anyone had experience with the kit. I have an 86 CJ7 with auto and the Mopar Fuel injection kit. With the high idle stopping it is a bear. Will be adding the Offroad Engineering Idle controller eventually but thought the Tri-County mod would also help..

·
Official Curmudgeon
4,707 Posts
I have never actually seen one but I've had an overview of the project described to be by somebody who
did it. You move the master cylinder up a little and redrill the brake pedal swing arm to put the rod end
closer to the pivot. The Tri-County rod is just an adjustable to get the rod length correct after the mod.
You can make one yourself by cutting the stock rod, threading the ends and using a connector nut
that is about 1-1/2' to 2" long and jam nuts. I never thought much of it because I assume it provides
less piston travel.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Look in the latest issue of Four Wheel Drive and Sport Utility. One of our local 4by shops here in Farmington, All Wheel Drive, has an article on a simple and very effective brake upgrade for CJs. They've done a bunch of them, customers seem to be happy.

Brad (from the 4 Wheeling center of the universe, 4 corners USA)

·
Registered
1,169 Posts
Actually it provides a little more piston travel. I used the setup that I removed from Jeepskate on my '86 a month or so ago and am very pleased with the results. There's some pics & a description on my web page and I can scan the magazine article that details the mod if you'd like.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.