Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Official Curmudgeon
5,207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Jeepskate responded to a post about the TSM disc conversion with the following:

Get yourself a '79 Firebird 4-wheel disc master cylinder and perform the Tri-County mod to your bellcrank
assembly. The Tri-County mod will give you 'normal' power brakes and the Firebird master cylinder will
take care of activating those rear calipers.

I knew about the Firebird master cylinder but not the Tri-County mod. A friend of mine was telling me
about changing the pivot point on the pedal ass'y but it required raising the master cylinder. Is this a
similar thing?

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
Yup, same thing. You just need their adjustable rod (not sure if you can find it elsewhere cheaper) to correct your pedal height afterwards. I used the one I pulled off of Jeepskate on my '86 and finished tweaking it on Saturday. It is a phenomenal change. I can drive the Jeep in traffic with the same confidence in stopping power that I've had in every other vehicle I've ever owned. Prior to this mod, my first Jeep with manual brakes stopped better than this Jeep did. When I had to stop short in traffic, it was 1 part standing on the brake pedal and 1 part praying that I'd stop in time. Whoever the Jeep engineer is who designed the stock setup, I have to say he was smoking crack and couldn't pass an entry level physics class. The bellcrank works like a lever and the point where the brake rod connects is just too darned close to the fulcrum. This mod puts the rods close to being in line with each other (like having manual brakes or a newer YJ's power brakes) and moves the brake rod further down on the bellcrank for better leverage and more travel on the piston. I stop with confidence now. The best $40 I ever spent and the difference was instantly noticeable just backing out of the driveway.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.