Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey - I was thinking about this this morning and I forgot to mention this on my Tellico post.

If you do not have a tree saver - get one now. I use an 8-foot 2" "Snatch-n-Go" yellow strap with a big D-shackle. I keep this real handy - like wrapped up front on the tow hooks so I won't be likely to blow it off and just hook the cable to itself. A few years ago, I would hook the cable to itself all the time and had no problems. But I know that this can cause chafing and/or failure of the cable, and...

It screws the tree up ROYALLY. Trees are only really alive on the outside. If you take a chainsaw about 3/4" deep all the way around, it will die. This is essentially what the winch will do when pulled really tight.

Here's the thing - all of the "winchable" trees at Tellico on the big obstacles were stripped of bark 3-4 feet up and dead. STONE DEAD - ALL OF THEM. Now, they're big, so they're still standing, but someday, places like Slick-rock Hill will be a big open field, and it will have been our fault from all of the careless winching. It's actually already starting to get that way it looks like.

I'm not turning into some hard-core environmentalist, but hey - we all like the woods - that's why we go out there - let's try to keep it nice. I used to just wrap the cable around the tree, but now I don't because I read something like this a few years ago...

Thanks Guys - Chuck

Chuck Hadley

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
VERY good point Chuck, ti just gives the GAGs more ammo when they see stuff like that. I see people using chains, cables, or the BIG no-no, wrapping the cable around the tree and back on itself, good way to cause catastophic failure of the cable. If you ever see anyone doing any of the above, let them have a piece of your mind, then let them use your strap.

Brad
ORC Land Use Section Editor
Get involved or lose it all, the choice is yours!

·
Registered
6,394 Posts
/wwwthreads_images/icons/frown.gif Normally, Chuck, the moonguys/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gifare out of the room when I'm on the BBS, but they were taking their break early today and were sitting all over the office. When my moonguy-in-chief/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gifrigger saw that post about hooking the winch cable back onto itself I thought he was going to choke on his moondonut/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif I can hardly think of ANYTHING that is more blasphemous than hooking the "line" cable!/wwwthreads_images/icons/frown.gifNow....because we know that you HAVE done it in the past, as punishment, you must correctly answer this question: "When using a strap which has a loop at each end to connect to the tree; and using a screw-pin shackle to connect the strap; making the strap a "choker" and getting some necessary extra length to reach to the line hook, which part of the shackle goes on the loop and which part of the shackle goes over the run of the strap? In other words does your helper put the shackle through the loop, put it over the run of the strap and then pit in the screw pin, or does he go over the run first and pit the pin end of the shackle in the loop?" A good moonguy/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif would know this, Chuck....how about it?

CJDave
Quadra-Trac modified by the crack moonguy/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif transfer case team.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I've got a moonguy here who's just dying to try his hand at this one...maybe Chuck can correct him. He /wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif claims that the pin would go through the loop so the flat loop end of the tree saver is mated to the flat pin, and that the curved horseshoe "loop" side of the shackle would serve as the loop through which the other end of the tree saver would pass, because it can more easily conform to the curved shape without overstressing any one part. If you did it the other way, all the stress would be transmitted to just the two corners of the tree saver loop that touched the metal on the shackle. But why not just loop the tree saver through itself? Will it get too tight?

Trying to come up with a witty line to end all of my posts...

·
Registered
4,447 Posts
Actually the strongest way is to not use it configured as a choker at all. Especially when using only a 2" strap. I just bring both ends together and shackle, using the pin side at the strap eyes and the hoop side at the swagged cable end. This is the same way a bosun's chair is fastened to reduce chaffing. If its just a quick hook up, with litle load or consequence, I just bring both strap ends together at the cable hook( with a retainer is best). Like the other post stated you should keep your Tree Strap right were you or your spotter can reach it quickly. In extreme rough terain your winch controls should already be hooked up and ready. Gloves, shackles, chain, etc should be right there also. About 2 months ago while climbing a steep icy hill in the dark, a quick winch set was all that kept me from going over after I busted a rear pinion yoke about 300' up the climb. I was very proud of my JeepChick's quick calm reactions. Since I was on the uphill side I could not get out, and we were to far up the hill for any other help from below. The fact that we keep everything in the same place all of the time, she knew where everything was and what to do. You should always famiarize a new passenger with basic knowledge and pair of gloves also.
Jeff
89 Wrangler

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
As to the question "why not just loop the tree saver through itself?". Think of having the strap around yourself and being pulled with it. Wouldn't it be better to have both ends of the strap being pulled, instead of one end pulled and the other cinching around your waist? Which would hurt less? That's your answer.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hmmm - not sure I even understand the question, CJDave, but we just loop around the tree, hook both sewn loops together with the shackle, and use the "screw" to hook the winch cable hook to. This doesn't let anything tighten around the tree, it's easy, and my winch cable hook will not hook onto a shackle that big, so you have to run the screw through it and then screw it on. Which is actually pretty cool since the hook or anything else cannot fall off! This probably works with mosy winch cable hooks, and the shackle I use has a 1.25" screw or pin I think...

Keep posting, so this will stay at the top!

Chuck Hadley

·
Registered
6,394 Posts
/wwwthreads_images/icons/laugh.gif Very GOOD, guys....very good...so far. Now in the original question, little moonguy/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif noted that you were forced to use the strap in "choker" configuration because you needed just a scooch more length. He was trying to get you to think "choker" instead of bridle. SURELY....bridle is best, where all three lines meet at the shackle, that way the tree isn't "choked". What you DON't want to do is use the other loop of the strap as a slip-through.....that's a no-no. So...back to the question....in a "choker" situation, which way does the shackle go? Pin in loop, or pin over strap run......and while you are at it, BESIDES the answer, tell WHY./wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gifFarmjeep's little moonguy/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif has "made" the question OK and has come up with an answer. Not to say that the answer is right or wrong, what do the rest of you guys say? And Farmjeep, WHY did moon unit 63B say that he would turn the shackle THAT way?/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif

CJDave
Quadra-Trac modified by the crack moonguy/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif transfer case team.

·
Registered
4,447 Posts
You could get the extra shooch of length from the length of chain that you always keep handy at your front bumper or from the other length in the recovery gear bag. How'd I do Dave?
Jeff
89 Wrangler

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.