Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm replacing the transmission on my 93' Tracker and I ran into something a little puzzling. Should there be oil in the housing where the output shaft mates with the transfer case? I didn't think there should be since there is no fill/drain plug for this housing but when I separated my old tranny and transfer case there was quite a bit of oil in there. Maybe someone just stood it up on its end and put some in before bolting the transfer case on.

Thanks, Mike

· Registered
5 Posts
I'm replacing the transmission on my 93' Tracker and I ran into something a little puzzling. Should there be oil in the housing where the output shaft mates with the transfer case? I didn't think there should be since there is no fill/drain plug for this housing but when I separated my old tranny and transfer case there was quite a bit of oil in there. Maybe someone just stood it up on its end and put some in before bolting the transfer case on.

Thanks, Mike
The oil probably leaked in there from either the tranny or tcase. There is a seal and a plug in the tranny, so it could have leaked past one of them. There is also a seal around the input shaft of the tcase, so it could have leaked from there too. Or maybe someone just put some oil in there somehow.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.