Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm starting to have occasional trouble with my '97 Chev. Silverado shifting EXTREMELY hard. I can stop and turn off the truck for a minute and the problem is gone when I restart. In the past few days, the SES light has come on but the tranny problem is still sporadic. Anyone had this problem?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I hate to say it man but your truck is about to take a sh1t on ya.Look for trans fluid in your radiator.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I dont mean to scare ya but the same thing happened to me last year.I also have a 97' Silverado with the plastic radiator.A small pin hole had been allowing trans fluid in the coolant and vise-versa and the clutches and everything else went slowly and im still flushing out the cooling system.I now run a seperate trans cooler and had the trans rebuilt ($1600)I hope this isnt your problem catch it early if you can so you dont rust out all internal parts in trans .Keep us posted.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the tip. I just checked that out and everything looks okay in the radiator and transmission fluid, but I will check closer. It seems like some sort of electronic problem to me since restarting the truck (and computer) clears the problem. Dealer is trying to tell me that I need a new transmission without even looking at the truck! I won't be taking it there...

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
If the fluid level looks ok and your antifreeze dont smell funny it ts probably something else.I bought a code reader at Autozone for$150 it gives you the code and a brief description of possible problems.My truck also ran ok after i let it sit for a while.Good luck to ya also you can get a free diagnostic from AAMCO or other trans shops .

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
By the way if you clear the computer by disconnecting the battery theses light wont come back right away most times after 25-50 starts if problem continues

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.