Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm having SERIOUS transmission problems, basically it's time for a new transmission. But I'm a little lost on a few things. One is what the heck is the difference between a "Transmission, a tranny, and a t-case" are they are the same thing?

Next, I own an '85 CJ7, what model of transmission should I be looking for? Or is it just a matter of what kind of performance I want? Honestly, most of my driving is street driving, so I don't offroad much but I'd like to be able to handle it when I do go offroading. Thanks for any help

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Again, I am not an expert, but I can tell you this: my 85 CJ7 has a T176 transmission and a Dana 300 transfer case. Basically, the way I understand it it is that the transfer case is an adapter that provides "turning" of the front wheels (when in 4 wheel drive). Without the transfer case only the rear tires would turn.

With respect to the "tranny" I guees people consider it the combination of all units (transmission, transfer case, drive shafts, etc).

Again, I don't know much about this stuff as you can see....I hope this helps.

I've read that the T5 transmission is a good alternative.
Good luck.

[email protected]

·
Registered
1,736 Posts
As I learned it....

A tranny and a transmission are the same thing. The transfer case, or the t-case, it the unit that splits the power off to the front wheels. It resided behind the transmission, between the transmission and the driveshafts, and the 2 driveshafts, front and rear, connect to it. The drivetrain, or "train", is often said when referring to the engine, tranny, t-case, driveshafts, axles... the whole group..

Time to climb under that CJ and look around. If you look at it long enough, you'll see what part is what.

Good luck
Pete

88YJ,4"susp,33"BFGMTs,9000#winch, hm swing out TC/HL mount ,258,999,4.10,weber32/36,GMHEI.

·
Registered
6,355 Posts
/wwwthreads_images/icons/laugh.gif A transmission(tranny for short) is literally a Power Transmission Component....something that processes the power from the engine...it decreases or increases the engine given RPM (speed) it enables you to select different ratios so you can go fast or slow with the engine speed the same. It enables you to disengage the engine so you can hop out and leave the engine running if you want to. So instead of hooking the engine to the wheels direct like the old Indy cars...you can select all these different speeds and even reverse and neutral. Neat, huh? Right behind that transmission is another power transmission component called a transfer case. The transfer case literally transfers the power from the tranny to the axles...the front axle...the back axle...or both axles. Only four wheel drive vehicles really need transfer cases, and then only because they wanted to give the drive some choices, like rear axle drive...both axles driving...or even an "under drive" which is a reduction gear IN the transfer case, useful for heavy pulling or slow creeping. You could think of the T-case(transfer case) as a "splitter", splitting the power to where the driver wants it to go./wwwthreads_images/icons/laugh.gif/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif Neat setup, huh? No wonder we like Jeeps...all those choices! /wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif

CJDave

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hey I just wanna say thanks to everyone for the transmission lesson! I REALLY appreciate it :) And thanks for not making me feel like a dumbass for askin' hehehe :)

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
MrJazz2U,
A tranny is a nickname for just the transmission. The transfer case or T-Case is bolted to the back of the transmission. This allows you to direct power to the front end. It also allows you to change your gear ratios by putting it in low range. When four wheeling most people will use low range. It makes it easier to control the vehicle and in a way provides more power to the wheels. The tranny and t-case act as one unit but can be changed or modified separately from one another.
I would suspect that you have either a T-5 or a T-176 tranny in your Jeep. Both are excellent tranny's for the street. Your t-case is probably a dana 300 which is also an excellent t-case for the street and off-road. If you were to get into some more serious off roading but would like to maintain your jeep on the street I would suggest the T-176.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.