Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
yeah i was looking at harbor freight's jacks and was wondering if anyone can recommend a decent tranny jack for my lifted jeep. chinese might be ok for a jack. i saw one made in USA for around $700- wow! i know you can rent but i want to buy one. i am getting ready to do a clutch job and don't feel like bench pressing the tranny/transcase/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif. it would be nice to have one for a change- have used my floor jack with timber and always ends up on my chest.

steve
87yj,6cly,5spd,NP231,4.5"RE susp,1" body,SYE,CV,32x11.50MTR's,D30,D35posi

·
Registered
426 Posts
I just finished taking out my T-5 and D300 about 10min ago! I just rested the tranny on a jack stand after the skidplate was off, than unbolted the d300 and took that off with the 3 ton floor jack under it, rolled it out of the way. put the floor jack under the tranny unbolted the bell housing ans clutch linkage and rasied the jack an inch or two after it hits the bottem of the tranny and put on the back of it slowly,let the jack down slowly and pushed it off to the side. I had no problems:)

Chad

84 & 76 CJ-7's Give me a striaght six cummins diesel anyday. [email protected]

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Oh come on Steve, where is your sense of adventure. Yeah, a tranny jack would be nice, but I've never used one. 2 guys and a floor jack with a piece of 2x6 has always served me fine. Even putting a trans and t-case back in with a floor jack is not too bad with 2 people.

Brad
ORC Land Use Section Editor
http://www.off-road.com/land
Vice-Pres. Rock Garden 4 Wheelers, Farmington, NM
http://rockgarden.rockcrawler.com

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I used one of those transmission jacks to get my T-150 and D20 out one time. It's just as easy to use a floor jack remove the t-case then the tranny. The scissor type transmission jacks from harbor freight are kind of a pain because you have to use a ratchet to raise and lower it. I'd rather have a hydraulic one. I was thinking about getting that transmission saddle from there when it was half off at $25 or something like that.
I might be wishing I had one once I try to get this beast of a T-19 in this summer!

-Jay
Denver, CO
1978 CJ-5 258 Weber, 'glass body

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
When i took out my t18 i used a engine hoist. I removed the tranny cover plate on the floor and ran a chain down throught it. A come-along hooked to the roll bar also works.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
You might look at one o fthe adapters that attaches to a standard floor jack. I have seen these in Northern and possibly harbor freight as well for about $45

92 YJ/4.OL I6/ 4"Superlift/1" Daystar Poly Body Lift/ 32X11.5 BFG's/8K lb Superwinch/Yada, Yada, Yada,

Go Hard or go home

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
ok you want me to be more creative!/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif
yeah that set-up scissors tranny jack with a ratchet to work blows! i will look at the larger "pad" that slips into a floor jack. don't know if my costco floor jack has a removable pad and if it will receive another. if worst came to worst i could buy another floor jack and tranny pad to fit- would still be cheaper that a tranny jack. most of the tranny jacks i see are for real high like if the car is up on a hydraulic commercial lift. i don't plan on separating the tranny and transcase- no need. i'll get the ba$tard out- just looking for another device to make the job go a little smoother!/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif
thanks guys

steve

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yeah, try that transmission floor jack saddle from Harbor Freight and let us know how it works. At least you can chain the transmission to the saddle. I just don't know how balanced it would be w/ the t-case attached. I'm sure it will be better than the ratchet jack!

-Jay
Denver, CO
1978 CJ-5 258 Weber, 'glass body

·
Registered
6,355 Posts
/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif My floor jack has a removeable swivel pad, and if you just make a second setup that uses the same hole and if the pin fits real good, it will not come out. You can make the tilt mechanism from just about anything, but a scissors jack mechanism works good for that. Even if you spent 100 bucks doing the adapter, it's cheaper than a second jack, nothing to store, and can be modified even further to fit different trannies. We JUST FINISHED slapping the SM465 in our pickup and then the NP205 t-case. Without a good saddle setup on the floor jack, it's a real grunt, not to mention slightly risky./wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif

CJDave
Quadra-Tracs modified While-U-Wait by the crack moonguy/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif Quadra-Trac Team./wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif

·
Registered
1,974 Posts
I did the two jack mamba with my T18/D20 combo. I married them on the floor, got one jack under each one, and jacked them up a little at a time, lined it up and in it went. The hardest part was getting them on the jacks to start with, after that it was a walk in the park.

pbm
74 cj5,304,t18,2.46 ts d20,30f,44r,soa,MORE buggy front,35's,Rci's,5pt,full cage,air,etc.

Support Search and Rescue.......Get Lost! /wwwthreads_images/icons/shocked.gif

G

·
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I used the harbour freight one, just 2 weeks ago to remove my tranny. It did the job. Are there better ones definitely. Is it better than a regular floor jack? YES!!

The pad is too small but the seat belt helps keeps the tranny on top. I won't be doing the install for another 2 weeks, so I can't say how helpful it will be.

Mark F

1986 CJ7, Chevy 350, D44/D30, more to come shortly

·
Registered
156 Posts
I recently purchased the $30 transmission adapter for a jack from harbor freight and it worked great. When I had the SR4 in the Jeep I never used a jack I would just take the transfer case and tranny out separetly by hand and put em back in that way. I would have someone help to put it on my chest though. Well I knew that this wouldn't work for the SM465 so I got the tranny pad. The only problem with it is that the height could be a problem. I had to adjust the tranny cradle to fit the tranny then take the tranny out and slide it under the Jeep. Then I used some rope around the roll cage to pick it up enough to slide the jack under it. The tranny cradle is slick cause you can mess with the anle the tranny is at. Made it pretty easy. If I would have had some big car ramps I probably could have the the tranny on the jack and just slid it under there. I'd say it's worth the money just because it makes it a WHOLE lot safer.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
well for an up-date/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif
i looked at the $70 "cradle" type inserts into a floor jack that they sell- harbor freight. would also have to buy their jack. some off-brand stuff, made in taiwan. my floor jack doesn't have a re-movable pad, just another chinese jack from costco. i went to a mechanics tool place where i frequent for USA tools. they have tranny jacks. taiwan for $320 and $600. USA for $1100!/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif i am considering the $320 but need to jack it up and measure it's height. my tranny is about 20" above ground. i noticed my floor jack doesn't get that high. i know- put it on cribbing/dunnage. well i haven't spent the $ yet so there is still hope! if i shell out some coin for this jack i expect to travel around and rent it out to you guys for a little beer money.

steve

G

·
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
G

·
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
yeah jay-
that's the adapter i saw at harbor freight alright. i will stop and look at them again. it had a tag that said "use with part #......" and i looked around and that part # was on the floor jack. all the jacks and adapter were up on a wood platform and were strapped/bolted to it so i couldn't check them out and put together or monkey with them at all.!/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif i left there thinking fuc*-it! i may visit them again and re-look the situation. yeah it would be nice to save some $ on this purchase. i don't skimp on warm sleeping bags(down), good tires, stout work boots, heavy duty t-shirts, USA beef jerky........but this jack could be of lesser quality me thinks!/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif

steve

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.