Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need some advice. I have an '89 Wrangler. I-6, 5 speed.Stock everything, except for suspension lift and 33's. I had clutch work done (clutch, throw out bearing) a couple of weeks ago.
It was working fine 'til yesterday. My problem is a knocking, clicking sound coming from the floor- The noise comes on during 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 5th and a little in reverse. And totally absent in 4th! It isn't losing any power either. I brought it to the mechanic just this morning and he said its the trans. Can someone else shed some light to what kind of problems I'm having before I commit to his solution. I just need somebody elses opinion. The noise is also absent during idle.

Thanks to anyone who can help me.
Happy Holidays
Jim

·
Registered
1,890 Posts
If they tell you it's rebuild time, don't make the mistake I made. I had a SR-4 tranny rebuilt. The tranny you have isn't much better. Upgrade if you can. Wish I had. It would only have been a few more bucks for a much sturdier transmission.

·
Registered
7,901 Posts
I am no transmission mechanic, but I had a similar problem on a BMW I once owned. It made the same noises you hear, the problem turned out to be a bearing in the transmission. I don't know which one, but the reason it doesn't appear in 4th is because 4th is a 1:1 drive, the others use gear clusters to achieve the reduction and overdrive. Incidentally, I was told by several mechanics they could not get the bearing, it didn't exist by itself, so I had to find a new transmission or gear cluster . Needless to say, the transmission for a 1978 733i BMW imported from Italy is EXTREMELY rare, so I wasn't very optomistic. I had almost given up hope when a friend suggested I let him try. $500 and 3 weeks later the car was ready. He bought the bearing from a bearing house (S&K) in Portland, Maine for $7.50, the rest was labor for putting the tranny together (he received the tranny in 2 boxes in the trunk). It was perfect.

Raduckal is right. Your tranny doesn't have a good reputation, you might look for a swap rather than rebuilding it. I also had the SR-4, (another terrible tranny) which had been rebuilt a few times. When it let go on me (more than when I bought it), I replaced it with a better transmission. I hope this helps.

JEEPN
'97 TJ Sport
'81 CJ-8 Scrambled!
'71 Commando SC-1
'51 CJ-3A
'47 CJ-2A

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.