Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need some transfer case information. I have an 87 YJ with a 4 cylinder and an AX-5 trans. The T-Case is an NP-207, the only year that particular case was used in Wranglers. Due to a broken front drive shaft that was digging into the ground, ( and my son drove home anyway), the T-case sounds like a wrench being shaken in a steel trashcan when engaged and I can't disengage the driveshaft no matter what position the shifter is in. I believe the case is hashed.

Here are my questions.

1) Can the NP-207 be swapped for the more common NP-231 and what is involved?
2) There are plenty of XJ's in the local U-Pull-It yards in the area, did any of the older year XJ's use the NP-207?
3) My Hayes manuals for both Cherokees and Wranglers both state that the transmission and the T-Case must be pulled as a unit. I only need to swap out the T-case, so I really don't want to have to pull the whole tranny to do it if I don't have to. Can the case be removed without pulling the tranny?

Thanks for any info that you can share.

·
Registered
13,432 Posts
Question 1: Look here...

Question 2: Look Here...

Question 3: Pulling the transmission/transfer case sometimes is easier than trying to divorce the assembly in the vehicle. Me, I'd drop the transmission and transfer case as a unit and divorce them on the ground.

·
Registered
1,988 Posts
Wish you were closer...I have an AX-5 and a 207 I'd love to get rid of- cheap!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts