Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an 88 wrangler that I just can't fix. ATF fluid is leaking out of the transfer case. It leaks out of the rear output, right where the driveshaft goes in. I have replaced the rear output seal three times and have replaced the oil seal further in the case once. I was extremely careful the last time I did it so I thought for sure it was fixed. But sure enough after driving for about 10 minutes, I parked it in the garage, and it was leaking again. It is not a small leak either, it leaves a puddle 6 inches around in a matter of an hour. I just cant figure out what else it could be. And I don't want to get a fixed yoke output because I am selling the Jeep in a few months. If anyone has had this same problem please help, I don't want to give in and take it to a "profesional" to fix.
Thanks
Dan

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Is the shaft scored or grooved in any way. Even the smallest damage can eat a seal up quick.

Brad (from the 4 Wheeling center of the universe, 4 corners USA)

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Not familiar with Wranglers, but on my Chevys, oil can seep thru the splines of the yoke. You should have some sort of gasket there under the washer and nut that attach the yoke to the case. I've used a little silicone on the yoke side of the washer sometimes to seal the washer to the yoke and stop the seepage. Hope this helps.

/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif
'84 K10 driver
'79 K10 mud racer
'48 CJ-2A trail Jeep

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.