Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
495 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Couple of questions:

1) Does anyone know of an easy/the best way to get the 27mm nuts w/ the bent tabs off of the input and output shafts? I have already sacrificed one screwdriver trying bend the tabs out.

2) Does anyone have a complete set (3) of the larger flanges that are held on by the 27mm nuts and is willing to part with them? Once I drop my transfer case to install this one, I would rather not have to contend with 3 more of the 27mm nuts to get my old ones off.

Any and all help is appreciated.
Thanks,
William

I'll be back.

·
Registered
2,979 Posts
I thought your's was a large flange but I wasn't sure. If you wanna swap for the large flange one, no problem. Of course, you'd have to come pick it up. Sorry you got the wrong one...

I haven't removed any flanges yet but I didn't think they'd be that difficult. You could always take it to Sears andf buy a screwdriver there and pry at it in the parking lot and if it brakes take it back in and take advantage of their liberal return policy!

:eek:)

·
Registered
495 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
No problem Pauly. I wasn't sure either. I'll get'em off eventually. I got one with a breaker bar but the other two are giving me some trouble. I'll probably end up trucking it to the parents one weekend where I can put an impact wrench on it. I don't have much more than hand tools here (apt. with limited space and no garage). Thought I would check with everyone on the board though to see if there were any other ways.

Thanks.

I'll be back.

·
Registered
518 Posts
When I removed my flanges I used a dremel with a cut away disk to remone the "tabs". I was afraid to hammer the "tabs" with a screwdriver for fear that this might damage the bearings below, I figured that they (the bearings) would directly absorb any hammering on the tabs.

Ultimately, I drilled a set of larger flanges with the hole pattern of the smaller (pre 88.5)flanges. Now I can accept any sammi driveshaft.

"Reality goes on without me!"

G

·
If you got a impact, just pop it on, it'll remove it no problem. If not, you need to take the sears advice. Marc

88 Samurai, 16 V EFI motor, Dana 44's, 36" Swampers, ARB and Detroit
lockers, custom drop arms, GRS II, 5.38 r&p, Warn 8000, custom bumpers,
leather seats & lots more.

·
Registered
1,429 Posts
I used a long break-over bar after using a hammer and chisel to bend the crimp out of the way. You may have to hold the other flange in place to keep the whole shaft from turning. Once you get it started it isn't too bad. The nuts can be very hard to get started moving.

·
Registered
1,745 Posts
I dont even worry about the little tabs. I just use an air powered impact wrench and they come off esaily.. If you dont have a impact wrench its a real pita

87 samurai, 33" mud tyres, rear locker, baby rock lobster, fast back bestop top, custom bumpers, gator guard 2 interior, expander shackles, rear springs up front, soon cj's in rear, lawn edging flares

1 - 8 of 8 Posts