Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
872 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just bought a Ford 4 speed Granny tranny from a friend. It has a AMC 360 bellhousing one one end and a model 20 tcase on the other. Couldn't get a good look till tonite but was told it was in great shape when he took it out. Any idea what type or model it might be? What do I need to do to mount it between my 225 V6 and model 18 tcase? Didn't really need a granny tranny but the price was right and wanted to replace my t86.
Thank in advance.
Keith

C-Ya.....................kh

·
Registered
6,394 Posts
/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif My guess would be a NP 435 if it came from a Ferd. It would have a 6.88:1 first gear, an rather square-looking shift tower, and two little "bumps" in front on the top of the case on the lower section of the cover. It was also used in Dodges and some GM's...the GM's had a 6.50:1 first gear/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif

CJDave
Quadra-Trac modified by the crack moonguy/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif transfer case team.

G

·
If it's from a Ford it's either a NP435 or a T18. Look at the top cover where the shifter is. If it's aluminum it's an NP 435. If it's cast iron, it's a T18. If it's greasy and hard to tell whether it's aluminum or iron, just use a magnet. It won't stick to the aluminum. Is the Dana 20 a driver's side drop for the front driveshaft or a passenger side drop. If it's driver's side you have a Ford Dana 20 and a Jeep Dana 20 won't bolt in to replace it.

·
Registered
872 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Got it home today and it's a NP435 with a Ford 360 bellhousing and Ford 20 tcase. Not what I was told but still a great deal($100). What do I have to do to run it between my 225 V6 and 18 tcase? Or would it be better just to sell it and find another one?
Thanks
Keith

C-Ya.....................kh

G

·
Somebody can correct me if I'm wrong but I believe you have an adapter between the tranny and bellhousing. I'm pretty sure without the adapter you've got a stock Buick bellhousing which I think will accept a sm420 tranny. You would still need an adapter for the transfer case. Maybe check with the Jeepster people because I think this setup is fairly common with them.
Bob

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.