Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi. I have a 94 YJ that is my pride and joy. I have upgraded it quite a bit, learning as I go. But now, after years of faithful service, my little AX-5 tranny is having trouble and I'm in over my head. The trouble first started with a very large piece of missing pavement on I-30 in East Texas, not far form Dallas. I was driving along late at night at about 70-75 mph and out of nowhere I came upon some unmarked construction: a crew had removed the pavement to a depth of about 4-5 inches and neglected to warn drivers. I hit this abyss at full speed. I have a SOA lift and proper bumpstops and good shocks and didn't bottom out, but it was still a pretty damn good jolt. Subsequently, my fifth gear dissappeared immediately./wwwthreads_images/icons/mad.gif I assume I broke or bent a fork, but I don't know much about the secret inner workings of transmissions. Regardless, the rest of the gears worked fine and we made it home easily. (I have the little 4-banger turning 33's, so needless to say, the GP doesn't see fifth very often anyway, and being a poor teenager in the military, I wasn't able to fix it.) Now however my 3rd gear synchro is being obstinate and I have to double-clutch to downshift. Now I am faced with a dillema. Should I rebuild/replace the AX-5 or can I change over to the AX-15? Is the AX-15 even an option? Pros? Cons? I really want to upgrade to something stouter because the Jeep sees substantial use getting me to rockclimbing crags and kayaking spots, BUT I don't really NEED a granny gear, so the AX-15 sounds right. Anybody have any info on this?

absaroka

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
The AX-15 is a little stronger than the AX-5. The gear ratios are the same except for 5th and Rev are a little taller in the 15. This should be a very easy swap. Does your base have an auto hobby shop? Most bases do. If so they should have enough tools and possibly even a hoist to do this swap.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.