Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have an 1989 f-250 with a 351W C6 trans and a(broken)1356 Borg Watner T-case. The 4:10 gears make driving over 60 almost impossible. So i was wondering what OD tranny I could easily swap in. I don't want an E4OD because it is electronic and they have to much problems. I think an AOD would work, but can it handle a mildly built 351.
THANKS

P.S.- steve83 i haven't forgot about that t-case yet, i am still saving money and trying to find time, it may be about the end of may when i have time.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
it would handle it IF you beef it uo. it will switch in there fine, but finding one is kinda impracticle.
you could always put bigger tires on to compensate for the gears.

·
Registered
5,301 Posts
OD\'s

AOD's were still being used in trucks in '88 - I pulled one from a wrecked '88 F-150 XLT 4x4. Advance Adapters' catalog (which I know has some errors) says it was used until '93. If you get an AOD, get the 4WD options: pan with a depression in the middle, special filter with extended pickup for the pan, breather tube instead of breather cap.

The ZF manual 5-speed OD is another option. But even used, they're ex$pen$ive - like $800-1200 for a 4WD.

Steve 83 Bronco 4.9L
Build it; Don't buy it...

·
Registered
470 Posts
Re: OD\'s

Personally, please don't hate me for my viewpoint, I would opt for a TH700R4 if I were to go with a 4 speed auto. Better gearing and can actually MANUALLY select 2nd gear without doing the first to drive to first tango. Not to mention they are easier to get shift right, etc. AA makes an adapter for ALL the GM trannies for a SB Ford bolt pattern.

·
Registered
6,842 Posts
Re: OD\'s

Come on man, putting a GM product in a FORD is a sin and just plain crazy! Why don't you just go get a honda civic tranny and throw it under there and see how long it lasts! :) Seriously though, from the few guys that I know with big tires and 700r4's they have nothing but bad things to say about that tranny. So if you have high HP then I wouldn't even think about it. I think the AOD was the best idea, and most practical, and it shouldn't be THAT hard to find since you don't need it ASAP...trucks from that era are always in the paper here being parted out and I'm sure some yards will have them...just do some diggin. For the price of a 700R4 AND an adapter plate you could get the ZF that steve mentioned, but I'm not sure if you're a clutch man or not. I don't have the coordination to get the beast moving but they are fun and i like the simplicity of them.

It's a multi-purpose passenger vehicle and it eats SUVs for breakfast...get it straight!

Muddybronco

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.