Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an 87 YJ with the 4.2/BA-15 Peugot NP231 setup. It sucks, I hate it and I want it out...well the tranny T-case setup that is. I just put a weber 32/36 carb on and I know its only a matter of time before I blow my tranny or tcase out. So my question is this; What is a fairly easy/affordable upgrade for a tranny and tcase? I'm a college student so my means are fairly limited. I don't have a lot of money to spend on Adapters and other parts. Would a T176 bolt up? I know of a T18 dana 20 combo for sale but a friend of mine told me I'd have to swap axles becuase the shaft outputs are on opposites sides than the stock setup. Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks in advance

MudFlap 87 YJ POS!!

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
That's the real problem with upgrading the NP231, the driver side front driveshaft. It would be nice to slap a dana 300 in there and get a tranny to join it and the engine but then you're looking at a front axle swap to accomodate the passenger side shaft. I didn't care for my stock 5 speed as well, but it also has a tired 4cyl in front of it so I went with the chevy/TH350 swap, cost some $$ to do it though, but I don't regret it at all!

/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif Big Ed
'88 YJ, 4" susp,3" body,33's,283 Chevy V8,TH350,4.11's,D30,D35c

·
Registered
7,958 Posts
Try a T-18 out of a Ford with a transfer, they have the axles on the wrong side. Oops, I meant "other" side. /wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif

JEEPN
'81 CJ-8 Scrambled!
GM151/SM465/NP205 twinstick/7"Lift/33"TSL's/IHC D44's 4.10's Lock'd

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I wish I could pull my tired 258 out and throw in a nice TBI chevy 350...but unfortunatly I need to eat, and as a college student my 4x4 has to take second string to my diploma (rough, I know :) ) Would a T18 out of a Ford require a zillion dollars in adaptors though? What about factory options for a stronger tranny, or was the peugot the only option? One final question...what the HELL was Jeep thinking when they put my jeep together?

MudFlap 87 YJ POS!!

·
Registered
4,618 Posts
the problem with the ford t18 would be the bellhousing.. but would be probably your best bet.. and no chrysler wasnt thinking then.. they couldnt find their heads then in all the amc stuff they just bought to unplug it.. lol..

survival is instinct, but living takes guts

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
so a Ford t-18, a bellhousing from an 80 CJ with a 4 cyl and sr4 tranny...is the NP231 from my jeep worth keeping, or should I find somethinb better while I'm at it?

MudFlap 87 YJ POS!!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well, I can not really help you with you first question, but as for your second, the np231 is a pretty good T-case. Not recommended, but definetely up to the challange of taking on a smaller displacement v-8. This I wouldn't suggest, however. A cheap upgrade might be a Aisin AX-15, they are a cheap, easy swap, and contrary to what many will say, I think it is a pretty good gearbox. You could probably pick up a good working one for, I would say, $300-$500. With the ax-15 and the 231, you will not have a bulletproof rig, but one certainly tough enough to hold up to a strong 6 or even a small 8 with mildly sized tires and a tame right foot. And left for that matter.
Russ

1 - 9 of 9 Posts