Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm planing on putting on a tranny cooler and electric fan on my 85 CJ7 (258/904)and I wanted to retain the stock fan as well. I'm not to sure as where to mount both items. I was thinking on putting the tranny cooler on the outside of the radator and the fan on the inside. I wasn't sure if the fan would fit w/ the stock one in place as well. Anyone have any suggestions about the mounting locations, or any brands they prefer for the cooler/fan? thanks,
Jake

·
Registered
6,394 Posts
/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif Jake.....let's pop open a beer and think about this. Now the reason they put a tranny cooler in front of the radiator, and blast all that heat right back into the radiator, making it tougher to cool the engine, is that they don't want to put in an electric fan. You, on the other hand have already decided that you're not going to disneyland the system and have bought a nice electric fan. Now, Jake.....is this becoming a bit clearer? THAT's RIGHT!....you don't PUT it in front of the radiator! You can find another place completely removed so you don't have to deal with the same heat twice. Then you can run the lines to the cooler, then the radiator, than back to the tranny. Be creative about this Jake....heck, there was a photo of a trail rig that had the coolers in the REAR, a really nice setup, and very trailworthy. I even saw one....get this....in the roll bar "vee" with the fan blowing outward./wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif Hey....why be normal? Get crazy/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif

CJDave
I never believe any statistics unless my moonguys /wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif made 'em up themselves.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Jake, I agree with CJDave. Summit Racing sells a cooler with a small fan attached as a packaged unit. It's made to be frame mounted.

Gary

·
Registered
6,394 Posts
/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif Jake, I agree with Gary. THAT would be the best way to go./wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif

CJDave
I never believe any statistics unless my moonguys /wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif made 'em up themselves.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
yeah I saw the coolers from summit they looked pretty trick, thanks a lot guys.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Jake,
I put my tranny cooler in front of my radiator. So far it cools my tranny about 60 degrees!! I have a tranny temp guage to monitor it. I also put an electric fan on the back side of the radiator. But I took off my mechanical fan. This also has worked out great! The radiator temp runs about 180-200 at the hottest. The tranny temp used to run about 200, now it runs around 120-150.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.