Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3,833 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Use to have a link to a good right up on the Geometry of a traction bar, and my searches aren't bringing up anything useful.

What I'm wondering is what's teh proper geometyr of a the traction bar mounts to avoid it binding up under flex.

Is there any math to it? i.e., needs to have the same center line as the driveshaft, or need to be parrallel to it.... anything? I'm sure there is, jjust don't know it. and I've finally got my materials to make mine.

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
Yes that would be a nice thing to know. Im geting to that point and it would be nice to see what the text has to say.

·
Registered
3,090 Posts
geometry doesnt matter so much if the one end at the frame using the swinging shackle mount.

·
Registered
3,833 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
[ QUOTE ]
geometry doesnt matter so much if the one end at the frame using the swinging shackle mount.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yep, I'm using one, I thought the same ting, but wanted to make sure. I'm sure at some point if the geometry isn't right, it could cause problems. Just didn't know at what point that was.

What I'm planning is to either come off the OE CJ Skid with the shackle mount, or if easier, running a bar between the frame rails. Just didn't know about "make it even with the Output yoke, further back, further forward, higher, lower....or what.. or, if it doesn't really matter as long as you're in the general vacinty.

thanks

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
I wondered about this as well, but in the end just went with my instincts. After all, if it were that technical they woudln't be able to sell them pre fab.

My biggest headache, other than space, was getting the entire asssembly to fit together snugly. Even with rubber bushings, the axle mount brackets alloow for very little movement, meaning you had better know exactly where the front edge of the traction bar is going to end up and there is enough room for the swing arm assembly here. I used a factory leaf spring shackle and haven't noticed any binding at all.

I ended up tack welding the brackets, bar, and shackle mount and got lucky on the first try. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

·
Registered
1,526 Posts
Here is my homemade track bar. I just modified the crossmember with angle iron for the front mount. I just tried to keep the angle the same as the driveshaft and make it longer then the front half of the rear spring. Works great. The funny thing is that the only time it binds is when i'm parked in the driveway. It kind of squats in that corner, but once you start driving and cycling the suspension, it loosens up and works just fine. I think I have to loosen up the axle mounts a bit.

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
Here's the front end with the swing assembly. I could only mount to one frame rail without re-doing the entire exhaust system and so far it has worked well without bending anything.

And heres the axle end. Sorry the pics aren't great quality... it's getting crowded under there! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Attachments

1 - 8 of 8 Posts