Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

· Registered
1,736 Posts
Trac bars came out with the YJ, because it had a softer suspension than the older CJ (this was to target people who wanted a cushy ride) /wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif. If you have a TJ, you kinda need the bars because there is nothing else laterally locating the axle. Leaf springs locate the axle laterally, but if the springs are really soft, it can still move. If you have the stock suspension on a YJ, it may be too soft to remove the trac bar. Remove the rear and see if it is annoying to you. You may not be able to take freeway ramps really fast without feeling the axle shift. In front, you may notice some weird steering feel - as you push the axle side to side rather than steering the wheels.

If you have any type of suspsension lift with different springs, the odds are that the springs are stiffer, and you could get away without both trac bars, front and back. I have removed both of mine.

Good luck
Pete

88YJ,4"susp,33"BFGMT,9kwinch,homemade swingout,258,999,4.10,weber32/36,GMHEI,one moonguy/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif

· Registered
1,736 Posts
Yes, it should help articulation. If you figure that with the bars on, for you to flex the suspension, it is pushing the axle sideways - if the bar's not there, it will just be free to follow the springs, not be forced sideways.

If you do remove them, remember to drive carefully the first time out and see if you feel it is safe or not, especially up front. Also keep an eye on your spring mounts and shackle mounts on the frame, as there will be increased loads on those without the bars in place (they will be doing all the work locating your axle), and they could be damaged / cracked / bent off-road. I have a 4" suspension also, and mine have been fine. Just a word of caution.

Good luck
Pete

88YJ,4"susp,33"BFGMT,9kwinch,homemade swingout,258,999,4.10,weber32/36,GMHEI,one moonguy/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.