Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
722 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

Just a question about the TR upgrade... As some of you might know, I live in Great Britain. I've thought about upgrading my ignition and settled for the TR one as HEI parts are difficult to get second hand from a wrecking yard over here.

Now, I can get all the parts (although the base adapter seems to be a slight problem to get hold of) but the only brand they supply over here is Echlin (Napa, Am I right?). How does Echlin compare to other brands?

I am asking this as I've seen some posts in the past about that you should only use "brass tipped rotors" (what is meant by this?? I thought most rotors have brass tips...) and so on... Are the Echlin parts of the right "quality" to get a good upgrade, or should I try to get a different brand?

Thanks,

Hooch

'83 CJ-7 258/TF999/D300 in Land Rover Country

·
Registered
722 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
BTT

Come on! Surely some of you must have used Echlin parts before?

Hooch

·
Registered
780 Posts
i believe that the Echelin parts are good quality. when you get the cap and rotor, look at the electrical contacts. they should be brass. the rotor should have a brass strip that goes from the center of the cap to each plug wire and the cap should have brass posts where the wires plug on. hope this helps! matt

·
Registered
722 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hi Matt,

Ah, I see what you mean.. Most rotors I've seen all have brass contacts, however the oem cap I am currently using seems to have aluminium posts on the inside of the cap. But this is off course the stock ignition. I suppose that most high energy ignition parts use brass rather than aluminium because of the higher voltage used.

Hooch

·
Registered
7,289 Posts
Never had a bit of problems with any of their stuff.Just make sure you buy the premium stuff if they offer 2 different lines of it. Everybodys trying to compete these days.

http://home1.gte.net/rythem/davescj7.htm
"Get your finger outta there"

G

·
Just a quick note. Make sure you ask for stuff for a 6cyl. out of a 91 F150 ford pu. When I went to the parts store, I brought the list that was posted on one of the sites that has this upgrade info. It looked like I was all set, as all the parts numbers were there on the site, which I printed out. However, once I got to the store, I realized that all the part numbers were for an 8cyl. Fortunately, I noticed this while still at the store and I didn't have to make multiple trips.

Good luck,

G-Man
If you don't like the way I'm living, you can just leave this long-haired country boy alone.

·
Registered
722 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
No, I definitely got the 6 cyl parts list as I researched it thoroughly. I put a parts list for U.K. Jeep owners on my website for the 6 and the 8... I went through it with my local parts supplier and made sure that I wouldn't publish the wrong parts lists... Thanks for the warning though /wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif

Hooch

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.