Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I PURCHASE ALL OF THE PARTS FOR THE TR UPGRADE AND I HAVE 2 QUESTIONS. 1) DO YOU HAVE TO INSTALL THE NEW SPRINGS?? 2) I PURCHASED THE ACCEL COIL. IT HAS A PLUG WITH IT THAT CONNECTS TO THE - AND TERMINALS ON THE COIL. WHERE DOES THE OTHER END (PLUG FOR A FORD) GO. I NOTICED ON THE STOCK COIL BASE THERE IS A PLUG WITH SOME WIRES ON IT BUT, THE PLUGS DONT LINE UP (OF COURSE) ANY HELP WOULD BE APPRECIATED. THANKS, CHAD

·
Registered
6,870 Posts
Answers...
TAKE YOUR CAP LOCK OFF!!! STOP SHOUTING AT US!!!

1. No. Spring replacement is not required to do the basic cap and rotor upgrade.
The springs are not required to upgrade to a TFI coil.

2. The Red wire from your stock coil connector goes to the Positive side of the new coil.
The Green wire from your stock coil connector goes to the Negative side of the new coil connector.

3. Push the 'Caps Lock' key once for lower case letters...

Later folks, Aaron.

"I Have The Body Of A God... Buddha"

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the replies MarkyMark and Team Rush. Aaron,I apologize for the CAPS. I was just being lazy. I have one last question for you. There are three wires coming off my coil cap. One goes to what looks like the electric choke(shadetree engineering?) Anyway, this will still be acceptable hooked to the terminal on the Accel coil,right? How does this coil rate next to the MSD TFI coil. They were about the same price. Once again, I am sorry for the internet no-no. Thank you for your time, I know you are busy. Chad

·
Registered
6,870 Posts
I don't know what a 'Coil Cap' is....?
Can you describe what your are talking about it better, or better yet, get a picture of it on here?
-------------------

As far as the Accel coil, and the MSD version of the TFI coil, there is no compaison.
The MSD TFI kicks the Accel's butt.
No canister coil I have tested can hold a candle to the TFI coil for usable spark energy.

By the way, The Borg-Warner premium TFI coil, and the MSD TFI coil are exactly the same in output.
I kind of wonder who makes MSD's coils now...?...

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
The cap by the coil is a "radio interference capacitor". It goes to the " " red wire and must get a ground through it's mounting. Just bought a new one for my '85 at the dealer........something like $15. Ah it's my Jeep.

·
Registered
6,870 Posts
I was wondering what a 'Coil Cap' was!
If you are correct, then you are also right too...

Later, Aaron...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.