Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im thinking of ways to modify my rig. I know a solid axle is a definate. Does anyone know about using Toyota axles? It seems lockers ect.. are considerably cheaper for a yota, so Im thinking of using Yota axles front and back. Has anyone done this before? Also What is the lowest gearing available for Nissans? This might sound stupid but what would happen If I welded my spider gears? I would have a "Locker" Right? This truck is only used off-road so Im not concerned with handling changes.

Throw it in reverse and grab second
www.dreamwater.com/todbug

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Man did you ever open up a can of worms! The rear axle shouldn't be to much work, and correct me if I'm wrong but the diff is on the other side, so you'd have to get a whole new drive-train and motor no? I haven't really paid much attention with Toy swap's etc.
The Lincoln locker is a locker, but some guys swear buy it and other swear at it? It will work definitely and if your only using it offroad that will increase it's lifespan also. This again however depends on the power your running into it, and which axle your putting it in? If you put it in the front then it can be dis-engaged but unlocking the hubs. If you thinking about this route you might want to look into a spool or mini-spool again depending on your engine an power. I've never done it but from guys I know who have they prefer the spool, I beleive it lasts a bit longer and is alot stonger too?
That's about my 2 cents spent!

Chris J.
/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gifIt's not the Biggest, but at least I use it!/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Toyota axles have the same wheel bolt patterns
An 1986 or later REAR Toyota axle will bolt to the Nissan spring pads.
If you Go to a Toyota front solid axle, it will have to be a 1985 or earlier.
Most Nissans run 4.375 to 1-- that is the same as Toyota 1980 ratio. Most Toyotas run 4.10 to 1 ratios.

You can weld spider and side gears-- but sometimes the weld breaks and the gears chatter around.
If part of a broken weld chips off and makes it way between the ring gear and pinion it can cause
the gears to jam or break. A spool is safer, better, stronger... and a little more $$$ but cheaper than lockers.

Spools and welded differentials will wear tires out very fast too.

I would view swapping axles and welding differntials OK to do it you have the equipment to
easily do heavy duty machanical work-- like a heavy truck shop does. And IF you can find
running gear parts cheap. If breaking running gear is not a crisis to you---- then do it.
If changing axle assemblies is child's play to you---- then weld them, break 'em and change them.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Actually, the new Tacoma front axles are on the drivers side. Might want to look into those for the front axle. You can also get 4.88 gears from the factory in some configurations as well as an electric rear locker.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ok, the solid axle toy's have the diff on the other side. The axles you will need are from a '85 or earlier(later is IFS). The only person I know who has done this is Andy James, but he also swapped in a full chevy4.3 engine/tranny/transfer case.

The new tacomas don't have solid axles so the unfortunately won't be much help.

Welding....
Well you can definately weld the back up.... I wouldn't but you can, in the front you will definatlly want to go with a locker, that will allow "some" difference between the wheels, otherwise turning will be hellish.

- Tim
- [email protected]
- Far East 4x4

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Whoops, sorry. I wasn't thinking. I forgot the question had to do with solid axles after I read about the diff. being on the wrong side. My mistake.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Just another option to consider is that alot of older Sh-Jeeps have Dana 44 front and rear axles with the diff on the driver's side, HOLD-ON, HOLD-ON I know there from Jeeps, but the parts etc, would be cheap like the Toy's also???

Just another option!

Chris J.
/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gifIt's not the Biggest, but at least I use it!/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif

1 - 7 of 7 Posts