Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have a 84 nissan 4wd with a z24. its all stock except for 31 tires. i drive it to school which is 50miles away.my jproblem is that up a descent grade(cajon pass,ca if youve ever heard of it) i have to be in 3rd gear floored doing about 50 to 55mph at about 3800rpm. on flat ground i can do 70 in 5th easy with no head wind, hd wind then i have to be close to floored or shift to 4th. so i was thinking about 4.88 gears but have noticed there 450 per axle without labor, so if i could find a toy rear axle with the 4.88 gears cheap how difficult would it be to do the swap, and go ahead and spring for the 450 in the front.
or do you think it is possible to do some engine work to compensate for the wk performance, real question is: what is the cheapest way to gain better highway performance and keep the 31's. the engine needs a tune up, but it runs pretty well, doesnt backfire, miss, or hesitate, but i was thinking rebuilding the carb wouldnt be a bad idea. also do the weber carbs have any bad aspects to them, such as worse gas mileage or more wear on the engine. thanks for your comments

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I think you'll have a bit of a problem finding a Toy axle to fit your truck, and I'm not sure if they run a 4:88 gear, but I know they run a 4:37 which is compatible with the Nissan 4:36. Personally I think you'd have a much easier time swapping in a Dana 44 out of an early Bronco, but which ever route you go will cost you and the 4:88 gears would be the least of your expenses!
A cheaper way to get some more pep out of the old girl would be to upgrade your exhaust, air-filter, and maybe even some headers for starters?
Don't know if this helps ya or not???

Chris J.
/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif"Go Solid or Go Home"/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif

1 - 2 of 2 Posts