Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
will my 97 pontiac transport (V6) van safely pull my 20' hurrican deckboat (dry weight 2400 lbs, loaded about 2800 lbs?) I have a hidden hitch installed on the van hooked to the frame. So I'm not worried about the hitch but can the van handle the boat?? And yes I do pull the boat on short trips with my jeep! It drug me down a very steep boat ramp--until I hit the parking brake. Then I put it in 4wd and had no problems going down or pulling it out! But I can't take the jeep on long trips with the boat--it is just too heavy for my jeep!

FOR SALE:D35,4.11,posi.FOR TRADE: 35x12.50 SSR wanted 35x14boggers.John-89YJ-350V8,35" SSR's, EFI,revolvers,shackle reversal,SYE,cv shaft, 4.11,locked front D30, rocklock,8.8,2"body, TJ flares.

·
Registered
4,143 Posts
Back in the 80s, the previous owner of my sailboat (which weighs over 5000lbs, and was on a 1000lbs trailer) pulled it from NY to FL with a Minivan (I think he said the V-6 Astro Van...)

Not saying its the safest thing to do, but it sure can be done!

·
Registered
2,818 Posts
I tow my cj on a 15ft car trailer with my ranger. It does ok but on long hauls i try to use my buddies tow truck. It does much better with the bigblock then the V6.

Can someone please bring me a hammer my 33's just ate my fender again. Damn i need more lift.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Take a look in the owners manual for the towing rates, or give the dealership a call. Also, make sure the hitch is of the right class rating for the amount of weight you are towing.

'88 Sahara, 4.2, auto, 4.0 head swap (finally), no trac bars.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The big difference between towing with a ranger, an astro van, or a Transport is that the transport is fwd, and has the front transaxle...versus the RWD ranger and astro van. If you are able to pull it, you'll stand a much greater chance of damaging the tranny/front end than you would with a traditional RWD job. Moreover, although you don't list the tongue weight, we get a large number of fwd minivans in at the shop I work at for alignments, following any attempt to tow anything...the rear axles aren't set up for load carrying, and it will noticeably bow the axle, screwing up the rear camber, causing shims to be needed to get the rear tires level. It's really not reccomendable...irregardless of what the owner's manual says. You can put a hitch on just about anything...but that doesn't mean you should tow with anything. And if your jeep can't stop it...then look at the brakes on your transport. Moreover, look at the springs...the tranny, etc. Once again...not a good idea. Every time our shop gets in a minivan with a trailer hitch on it that looks like it's been used before, the salespeople line up to help the customer.

Moneyless, Will weld for jeep accessories.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I agree with FarmJeep, a fwd minivan does not make a good tow vehicle. You also have to consider more than just the boat. How much gear/passengers would you be loading into the van when you hook up to the boat and head out for a day on the water?

Maybe it's a matter of growing up in Utah where every family has at least one full size truck, but I wouldn't consider towing with anything less than a 1/2 ton full size truck. Sure, maybe a small light trailer, but not any real towing. I personally don't think 1/2 tons are all that good for towing either.I used to live right on the way to Little Sahara in Utah, and I don't know how many times I saw some idiot towing a 20 foot camper trailer doubled with a sandrail or dirt bikes on a flatbed behind a 1/2 ton or a Blazer. Perhaps you should consider selling the van and picking up a 1/2 ton or 3/4 ton Suburban.

72 CJ-5: 305 Chevy; SM420; D-300; 30/44 with 5.38's, Warn axles, and Detroits

·
Registered
661 Posts
Can you tow it, sure you probably can, for a little while. I don't recommed it though.

Your tow rig usally follows a progression somewhat akin to a jeep. You start out with something and continually improve and or upgrade.

I never believe maufacturer's tow ratings either. They all pump them up to get sales. If you tow something at the upper end of muanfacturers rating your vehicle life will be greatly diminshed. (read lots of tranny parts)

I started out with ford ranger with v6 and an auto. Ford said it was rated to tow 5000#. That worked fine for hauling my dirtbike trailer or a jet ski. But when I put a 20'boat behind it that wieghed 4000# it just didn't do well.

That lead to a ZJ rated at 6500# with the v8. It did pretty well. The scary part came when I had to panic stop after a car pulled out right in front of me. Thank god I had just finished servicing the trailer brakes. But there was still no way the rig was going to slow enough to not make contact. So I had to put it off the side and into the desert to avoid the collision. That was a wake up call. When I turned to avoid the idiot, it really felt like the trailer was just going to spin the ZJ around and jackknife. Luckily it didn't and we got it shut down. Short wheelbase and towing do not do well together. That event really upset the wife and kids.

We decided to go bigger on the boat and I was not about to attempt to tow a larger heavy boat with the ZJ after our ride into the desert. The wife gave her blessings to go get a real tow vehicle. I came home with a Ford F350 Superduty w/diesel. Now even with 8000# plus of boat, trailer and gear it never feels squirrely and I sure feel safer with friends and family riding along after a long day on the lake. The gas milage is better too. I get around 13mpg with the boat on. THe ZJ got 8-9 with the old boat.

BigHG
84 CJ7

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.