Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
852 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This may be a crazy question, but we need to transport my brother's CJ7 to his apartment from my house (about 24 miles) and I am wondering on how to tow it.

Can we tow a 1979 CJ7 with Quadratrac on 2 wheels? We were thinking about renting a dolly from Uhaul and pulling it down there... will that screw it up?

Thanks in advance.

Sean

·
Registered
852 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the info guys.

I think we're going to try to disconnect the rear drive shaft and dolly-tow it.

I have two concerns now though.

First, we have 32" tires on his Jeep - would the standard straps that come with Uhaul Dolly's be able to accomodate the larger diameter tires (I can just ask Uhaul this question).

And - what kind of issues can we expect when we go to disconnect the rear driveshaft? Is it difficult? I suspect it is going to be a matter of reading through the Haynes manual.

Sean

·
Registered
852 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the info - yeah, I know the car haulers really aren't that expensive. The problem is that between the two of us (and our group of friends) I have the biggest tow vehicle which is a '97 Grand Cherokee with the I6.

I fear that might be just a bit too much load for my ZJ -- or do you guys think otherwise? the towing capacity of my Jeep is supposedly 6700 Lbs..

·
Registered
852 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
[ QUOTE ]
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif Do not even THINK /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mad.gif of towing that Jeep on a dolly with the rear driveline in place or you will be sorry. Actually, what you will be is fodder for the passer-by to use for those amazing videos. Your CJ will have it's nose stuffed into the back window of the Grand. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif Dropping the rear driveline is as basic as it gets, Use tape to hold the universal joint cups together so they won't drop off and get all dirty. Take the shaft off at the rear axle and then tie the end of the shaft up securely to the frame or some other good spot so it won't drag all the way home. You can tow that CJ with your grand. Select FWD "Green". Push the OD button in and leave it there. I towed our CJ with our '97 4.0 Grand Cherokee to our home in the mountains at 4500 foot elevation. I used 4Lo for some steep places. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Perfect. Someone who actually did this!! Thanks!!!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.