Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
tow strap\'s

What tow strap should I buy. 2"x20'=15,000. lbs 2"x30'=20,000. lbs 3"x20'=22,500. lbs 3"x30'=30,000. lbs Tow hooks that I have capacity's on are in the 10,000. to 12,000. lbs. range. I know that bigger is almost always better but if the hooks wont hold up to that kind of pull should I save a few bucks and go with a 2" strap. What works for you and have you ever had a hook or strap let go or snap. Who has the best tow straps for sale.

·
Registered
2,348 Posts
Re: tow strap\'s

Most all tow straps are the same, no matter who you get them from. I have had great luck and much enjoyment from my 30 foot strap. I would go with the 20000lb strap for your jeep. I like to carry my 30footer, and one or two shorter 15footers. Save yourself some worry and get straps that DO NOT have hooks on the ends of them. Looped ends are so much safer, and in most cases easier to work with. Along with a High Lift. Tow straps are one of the better mods you can get for getting unstuck

91 YJ 4in lift waiting in the garage till March !
"Because there is no reason not to"

G

·

http://www.recoverygear.com

Pretty good site. Avoid straps with hooks on the ends at all costs. For most jobs, a 2" will work quite well. 2x20' seems to be a pretty popular size. If you're gonna go longer, I'd go wider as well. When it comes to pulling things out, I'm not a big believer in having a 'fusible link' of sorts...you want everything beefy--you don't want anything to let go. If you have a winch or will be getting one, a nice 6"x8' treesaver is a necessity.

Sidenote: Make sure your towhook attachment points are good for the 10-12K pull you're talking about. It does no good to have perfectly strong tow straps and hooks if the hooks are mounted to single thickness frame and they rip out or bend it.

I Jeep, therefore I am.

·
Registered
1,125 Posts

I currently use a 4" x 30' strap from Keeper good for 40,000lbs. I know it's overkill for a lightweight Jeep, but it's from my fullsize Chevy days. I've only used Keeper straps, and am on my my second one in 12 years of use. The first one did not snap, the loop on one end came loose and the canvas shop in town refused to sew it back up for the third time, so I bought a new one from JC Whitney. They seem to have the best prices.

Rick
80 CJ7

·
Registered
1,445 Posts

anyone know a good place to pick up tree straps? I have looked all over including the recovery gear place above (I looked in their magazine).

No one seems to sell a short strap that can be used for a tree strap. I have seen them included in the warn winch kits, but does anyone sell them separately?

I'm looking for one in the 6'-8' range, so I can use it for a tree saver. If I can't find any, I'm thinking I will go buy a large one and find someplace that can cut it and shorten it down properly and safely.

I'm really surprised that pro-comp and some of the other guys don't sell something like this yet...

keryop

http://bastroptx4x4.alloffroad.com

·
Registered
535 Posts

kerry, I got my tree strap from Leon Rosser Think Jeep. It looks like they have just made a new website, and I don't see tow straps on the website now. Their phone number is 888-348-2037, and the strap is made by Explorer Pro Comp.

Mark
83 CJ-7 and 76 CJ-7 with stuff

·
Registered
11,504 Posts

An industrial rigging place will have short polyester web straps in a variety of lengths, widths and strengths. They're also a good place to look for hooks, snatch blocks, chains, D-rings, shackles and so on.

For a tree saver, or anything involved in connecting a winch, you don't want any stretch, like nylon recovery straps have. Look back a few weeks for a post titled "winching technique" or something like that.

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

I think I will try to get the 3"x30' strap. Thanks

1 - 9 of 9 Posts