Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Why is it only 4200 pounds when the 5.9 with the automatic is 7150. My truck is 2001 Quad Cab 1500. Should the off-road package increase the tow rating?

Thanks, Andy

·
Premium Member
1,762 Posts
You got me. The off-road package sits higher but as for towing I don't think it should matter much. I forget whats in the off-road package but it shouldn't make a difference, unless it has no aux.tranny cooler but for a 5-speed...? I thought the first gear is very low on those just for towing/pulling so you won't burn out the clutch.

·
Registered
6,517 Posts
Do you have to upgrade to the 3/4 ton package to get the 5.9? If you do then that's the reason for increased rating. /wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif

Tim "Sandman"

ORC Land Use columnist:
My May Column

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well this one time I pulled a 16' landscape trailer with 4 quads in it: a sportsman 500, a scrambler 500 4X4, and two 400EX's oh and my old blasterin the bed of my truck. The only time my truck complained a little was going up steep hills. all that weight has to be pushing 5000 lb's.
I have some picks i'll see if i can find them.

'98 Ram 1500, Gibson cat back, K&N, 5" Skyjacker, 35" SSR's on 16x8 Eagle Alloy's

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.