Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
370 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I seem to remember the subject of tow hooks discussed on the old board, but I searched through the spider webs and dust and couldn't find any references. If I remember correctly, the three holed hooks (made by pot metal pony?) that bolt on to the front of a YJ were frowned upon. I have also looked for other types of hardware to use for attaching points. NAPA has a U bolt rated at 12,000 and I found a heavy duty (1/2" I think) eye bolt that looked like it could work. Any opinions or suggestions?

jerry

G

·
wish somone would reply to this I would like to know this too.
Are the crome[sp] as strong as the black ones????? crome is
suppose to make metal weaker but how deep does it ???
Hawe been told you can bake crome parts in a oven to restore?????
Damm spell checker

·
Registered
6,394 Posts
/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif You have answered your own question....yes, chrome does upset the metallurgy, but it is only a problem on really high-stress thinner pieces....like aircraft parts for example. As far as the tow hooks are concerned, just remember that the hook makes you actually pull about 1-1/2" higher than the surface the hook is sitting on, which does have a little bending moment to worry about. In other words, will the flat surface hold it? If I had my choice I would attach the hook to an angle plate which would then drop over the side of the frame rail and bolt to the sides....avoiding the flange portion of the frame if possible. Believe me, I have owned winch trucks with BIG, heavy winches aboard, and have peeled LOTS of bumperhooks off that people thought were secure. So...to summarize, a flat plate on the SIDE of the frame...the hook bolted sideways(looks goofy but hey?)OR an angle bracket with the hook on the flat surface. Personally, I like the welded tombstone-shaped piecewith a hole, or a flat plate on the side of the frame with a hole, and then a screw-pin shackle. /wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif

CJDave

G

·
/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gifThanks Dave. I have learned after all these years that my old chain around the frame
just is not safe so better change my ways while I'm ahead.
/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gifWouldn,t the welded tombstone be possible to peel it off????
I don,t think a 1/2 eyebolt would work well and would not take
side loads well????????????????/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif
How about the U-bolt Jerry has found ,sounds good to me
but I have never seen anyone use one????????????????/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif

·
Registered
6,394 Posts
/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif Heh heh....that depends on who is doing the welding, and how it is shaped...and which way it is being loaded. I too am worried about the eye bolt. Once you get away from a dead-away pull, they do bend, and although they are a forging, it still worries me sometimes. I have had some tremendous loads on 1/2" and 5/8" eye bolts, but was careful not to pull sideways. It is hard to beat a padeye (tombstone) and a screw pin shackle./wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif That is the arrangement that the SNOJEEP is getting in back. In front it is hooks on angle brackets./wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif

CJDave

·
Registered
4,143 Posts
Isn't there an article on Shackles you can mount to your bumper in this months edition? They are mounted to a Toyota FJ40. Says that since they use 4 bolts instead of 2 they are stronger and you are pulling straigt off the bumber so there is no leverage and I dont see how a side-pull would effect them too much if they were mounted to pivot side to side...

·
Registered
370 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
In the December 4WD & Sport Utility there is an article about Griffin Recovery's shackle brackets. They look like bolt-on screw pin shackle brackets. Their website is not running, is anyone familiar with them?

jerry

G

·
Griffin Recovery makes a 4 bolt shackle bracket with removable D-shackles. As for the side-pull we haven't broke them yet, and we've pulled on them pretty hard (this doesn't meen they will not break; we just haven't broke them yet). If your good at fabricating you could make something very similar for less money.

Tim Springer
1980 CJ7

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.