Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The TRAIL(er) is nearing completion. On the docket for today is adding fenders and finishing the air-tank installation. But here's one that's bothering me...what about some sort of tow hook on the rear end? I know, I wouldn't want to do any very hard core yanking through a trailer, and I'm aware that the trailer will slide side to side if pulled at any angle...but I think some sort of way to pull on it would be nice. I guess my fear is that the jeep will get stuck somewhere and I'll have to pull it out backwards, from the trailer. I have a lot of faith in the aluminum frame that it is far overbuilt for holding what it holds, but I'm not certain how to attach a study tow hook to it. I was thinking that maybe I should run a chain from the rear of the trailer up to the hitch...bolting it to the hitch. If I needed to pull, I could hook to the chain and avoid stressing the trailer frame at all. The chain could be run through a few loops of some sort on the bottom of the frame so that it wouldn't slide around too much, and so the trailer would stay straight if pulled from behind. Whaddya think? Anyone got a better idea?

Trying to come up with a witty line to end all of my posts...

·
Registered
6,394 Posts
/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif Now you're using your head. Just one thing....forget the chain and use cable. Even if you had to grease the heck out of it and slip it in a hose, it will be SO much better......and lighter.....and safer./wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif

CJDave
Quadra-Trac modified by the crack moonguy/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif transfer case team.

·
Registered
4,447 Posts
Thats a very good idea,who knows what you might nee it for. I figure when in doubt put it on and see how it works. Just install a reciever you can use a receiver attachment for so many things(even an attachment for a smaal table,workbench or vice),Ive got them welded into convenient locations in a few place on the Wrangler,including one on each side that are attached to the frame(see pic). I use them for steps around town,then remove them and put covers on when wheelin. They have come in very handy in tight spots trying to lend someone a hook up point.
Jeff
89 Wrangler

Attachments

·
Registered
2,694 Posts
I think i am lucky if i have to be pulled out by my trailer. I picked up a m416 military trailer. It has the big eye hook for a connecter and i have the pintle hook bolted to my jeep. The way that pintle clamps around that eye, it ain't going to give.
Dan Stewart 1963 CJ5 "Caloosa Jeepers" member

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
Hey I just got me a M416 trailer for practectly nothing. It has the eyebolt cut off and a regular hitch welded on. Where can I get an eyebolt and a pintle hitch for it? I got some of the motor-t guys searching right now but I don't really want them to get caught doing something funny (ya know what I mean). Well if anybody knows where I can get those things pretty cheap please let me know.
Thanks

I may not like what you say, but I'll defend to the death your right to say it.
Semper Jeep

·
Registered
2,694 Posts
I was lucky enough alos to get my trailer for next to nothing also. I couldn't even think of where to get the fish eye. It is a shame that someone took it off, but you might was to get surplus city a call. they might be able to help. they have the most parts i have seen for military stuff. The website is surpluscity.com, or you could do a search on yahoo. The fish eye just bolts into the frame. I wish you luck in getting one, they should be out there.
Dan Stewart 1963 CJ5 "Caloosa Jeepers" member

·
Registered
4,447 Posts
InfantryYJ,
You should be able to find the eye bolt and pintel hook at any Major Rental yard, they usually have a great supply of HD towing items. You can also try good ol JC Whittney. I would think that would be the way to go for towing off road.

·
Registered
6,394 Posts
/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif H-8 is right...you can buy a nice forged pintle ring at the local trailer supply store. BTW...H-8......that is a TERIFFIC idea with the receivers....really good! I wish I had known of that before we went to the trouble of making a removeable side step on our CJ./wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif

CJDave
Quadra-Trac modified by the crack moonguy/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif transfer case team.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
There used to be a 1/2 ton version of the MB-T WW2 Jeep trailer that had a pintle hook mounted to the rear of the trailer. The frame was reinforced in the same manner as the early Jeeps, two cross braces from the rear mounting flange to the side rails of the trailer frame. It also had a socket for the light connector. The idea was to allow the towing of two trailers at the same time.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.