Off Roading Forums banner
21 - 31 of 31 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
Re: torsion bar \"cranking\"

Wow, you learn something new everyday. I was going to crank mine a little to even out the stance and I never thought about it needing an alignment afterwards. I guess I'll just wait to crank them until I get new tires this summer so I can get it done all at once. Damn I learn a lot from this bulletin board!

- Rick -
98' GMC X-Cab Z-71 w/ 2" Body Lift, 33 x 12.50 BFG MT's on 15 x 8 Eagle 054 Gambler Rims, Custom Alpine/JL Audio System w/ two 10" W6 subs.

· Registered
1,615 Posts

Everybody gets soooo worried over doing such a simple thing, as turn up the T-bars a little /wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif

Technicaly YES, you "SHOULD" get it re-aligned.

And Technicaly you should have it re-aligned If you put 285's on anyway, even if you didnt touch your t-bars.

Technicaly they say you should get it aligned whenever you put on new tires even if you don't change the size.

Do you have to re-align it? NO
Will it drive funny? NO
Will your tires wear out fast if you don't ? NO (ok maybe a little bit faster)

Scooby Dooby Doo !!!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #23 ·

I figured that is really wasn't necessary to re-align. I have a bad pull to the right anyway so I'll get everything done at once...crank t-bars, new rotors and pads, new tires, alignment...might even add rear wheel spacers to set the tires more in line.

- Rick -
98' GMC X-Cab Z-71 w/ 2" Body Lift, 33 x 12.50 BFG MT's on 15 x 8 Eagle 054 Gambler Rims, Custom Alpine/JL Audio System w/ two 10" W6 subs.

· Registered
1,615 Posts

RICK98Z, That sounds like good thinking to me!
Do everything first and then only pay for the alignment 1 time /wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif
Me, I cranked my T-bars (probably 1.5") and put 285's on. and it has never been re-aligned, I see no odd wear on the tires, they still look straight and it drives great.

Scooby Dooby Doo !!!

· Registered
4,738 Posts

Scooby, Same thing done to my truck and i view it the same way. I"ve now got about 12,000 after the T-bar cranking and no adverse side affects. it now drives like a truck, and i can corner too. i see aboiut as much adverse side affect from this as i do from the 0-rate add-a-leafs. i don;t think its hurting a thing as far as alignment goes. i will have it realligned when i finally decide to get some new meats though...just so i can have them fro lots of miles
----Peacock

96 Z-71 EXTcab, richmond 3.73, detroit rear, cold air, dual flowmasters, new drive-train

· Registered
4,199 Posts

I guess Im probably just paranoid cuase I got new tires, 700 dollar tires, so I want my front end to be in alingment.

And since I was the one doing my alingnments I could see the affects of haveing the t-bars cranked. I also have had to replace to many parts because the origanal owner of my truck had the bars cranked way to much, just after I bought it the CV joints on both half shafts decided to explode, due to outrages cv angles, since i didnt have the money to replace them I pulled the shafts out but left the stub that goes through the spindle there to keep everything to getther till I scrounged up some money, I also had to replace everything from tie rods to pitman, idler arms.

so now ive got the new tires and my trucks been on the alingment rack a few times, one to do the alingment and few times to check and see that it was still were I set it, could have settled and been just a hair off.

if my tires werent new id probably wouldnt be so picky but they dont have 300 miles yet so I am.

IF ITS GOT WHEELS OR A SKIRT YOU CANT AFFORD IT

G

·
Discussion Starter · #27 ·

I can't blame you one bit for being overly careful with your truck Kid. $700 in the scheme of things isn't a lot of money to some...but it is a hell of a lot to me since I'm trying to scrounge up everylast dime on building this darn house. I need new meats for my rig but am going to wait until the end of summer. I work a produce stand with my wife at nights from July to September. Last year it bought my Remington 7-Mag rifle, this year new tires! Hey I love my truck, I thought about cranking the t-bars at first when I got it to try and stuff my 33's I had sitting in the barn, but I had seen the adverse affect of that on the front end. 2 friends here cranked theirs to fit 33's with no lift and their trucks certainly suffered. One didn't get his aligned and it literally ate the tread off his front passenger side tire in no time at all. Once I get the tires I will give her a slight crank though just to level out the ride.

- Rick -

G

·
Discussion Starter · #28 ·

ok, sooooo....let me see if i got this. crank her up (1"-1 1/2") when i get my new and balanced 285s, have her aligned, and put bigger shocks. keep a watchful eye on the tire wear and rotate ever so often. right?

You only live once, but if you live it right, once is enough.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #29 ·

Sounds like you got it right 72dreamer..atleast that's the plan I have in mind, although you don't need longer shock for that mild of a lift. You wouldn't need better shocks unless you putting a suspension lift on of some sort and would then need longer shocks. I yours are just plain shot though then its understandable...

- Rick -

G

·
Discussion Starter · #30 ·

i was teasing about the shocks. i was hoping for scooby to chew me out about that one. he he!

You only live once, but if you live it right, once is enough.

· Registered
1,615 Posts

72dreamer, That was my first laugh of the day!/wwwthreads_images/icons/laugh.gif. Thanks, I needed it! /wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif

Scooby Dooby Doo !!!

21 - 31 of 31 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.