Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
torsion bar \"cranking\"

Haha, ok, for the past 3 weeks all i've heard ALOT about torsion bar "cranking" Could someone please explain to me how exactly you "crank" these bars! hahaha i'm sorry, i'm an idiot, but trying to learn here ;)

-Ryan S- 1994 Chevy Z-71 TwoTone Navy/Silver, 285/75/16 BFG Mud Terrains. Custom Flowmaster Dual Exhaust. K&N system. Custom Kenwood/Rockford Fosgate system, two 12" Rockford HE subs.

· Registered
6,042 Posts
Re: torsion bar \"cranking\"

you turn the adjusting bolt on the crossmember and it puts more tension on the key, thus putting more load on the torsion bar, thus pushing the lower control arm down...thus....lifting the front end.... viola! /wwwthreads_images/icons/laugh.gif

i receive a repy from Brennan hill of http://www.hill4wheeldrive.com and he said that they do have some 2"-3"leveling kits($149) for the classic style GMs....something about tahoes, but i think they'll fit the trucks as well.

the leveling kit is just 2 new tbar keys that are clocked at a steeper angle than the stock keys, allowing for more lift without as much tbar crankin'...in turn, being better for the front end.

Shorts <-- its not what you think...and don't ask what it is /wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

i take it you asked them if they sold the keys for our model pickups, huh? cuz the only ones i see are for 99 and newer and they say that's all it will fit.
for some reason though that truck they use for the before and after picks looks awfully low up front. like they put sand bags or something in the engine conpartment.

You only live once, but if you live it right, once is enough.

· Registered
6,042 Posts

In reply to:

i receive a repy from Brennan hill of http://www.hill4wheeldrive.com and he said that they do have some 2"-3"leveling kits($149) for the classic style GMs....something about tahoes, but i think they'll fit the trucks as well.
http://www.geocities.com/mark2000z71/Mark2000Z71misc.html

To: [email protected] Save Address
Subject: customer request
Date: Tue, 12 Jun 2001 22:49:49 -0700

Monica,

Thanks for the request, and sorry for the delayed response.
We do have that for some of the older body style tahoes and limited other
vehicles -- and yes it does work with a lift kit in most cases. You can
call 805-544-7039 for details or check back again when the catalog is
updated.

Thanks again for your request--we do carry just about every product
imaginable for the 88-98 pickups--especially the taller lifts and gears.

Brennan Hill

Shorts <-- its not what you think...and don't ask what it is /wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

well i wonder how necessary it is to have the unloading tool in order to install those new keys (adjuster arms, right?). that seems like a really simple swap. if it increases the angle on the CVs i don't see how good this could be. let's wait and see who gets em for some product feedback.

· Registered
1,615 Posts

Something sounds very fishy to me/wwwthreads_images/icons/frown.gif
how could these be any less damaging to the front end ????
They are doing the EXACT same thing as torqueing the T-bars it's just a different way of doing it.
The damage everyone is afraid of is the CV's and their different keys is not going to make any difference to the CV's at all.
Buyer beware lots of companies will sell you lots of junk that you don't need/wwwthreads_images/icons/mad.gif these sound like just such junk.

Just turn up the T-bars the way we have been doing for about 13 years now and send me your $150 I just saved you /wwwthreads_images/icons/laugh.gif

Scooby Dooby Doo !!!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

i wouldn't crank up big blue. i was gonna do it myself but backed out the last minute. was under there checking to see which socket was gonna fit and decided to just leave her alone. all i need is mud tires for now. the stock truck gets me where i need to go in the sand, the trails, and the mud.

· Registered
1,615 Posts

I have turned them up on my last three trucks and Never had one bad side affect from it.
It is totaly safe for 1" to 1.5". Just don't go crazy and try to make a 3" lift outa them/wwwthreads_images/icons/laugh.gif

Scooby Dooby Doo !!!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

1.5" of lift or more are possible by a simple t-bar crank? and how much is needed for the truck to sit level? i haven't measured that.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

my 2000 was 2 inches lower in the front. I cranked the bars up 1 inch and now the tires don't rub and the difference isnot as nocticable.

· Registered
6,042 Posts

it would be a real good idea to use the 2 jaw gear puller. the t-bar can be unloaded with a C-clamp, but life and limb are at stake /wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif

the adjusting bolts use an 18mm socket. its not rocket science to turm them up a little, so don't let them scare you. 1"-1.5" is alright, but none of this 3" business.

i was wondering how bad these keys are, and i wanted ytou peoples' thoughts...thus my original post of New Tbar keys for lift

G

·
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

I am cranking the torsion bars on my tahoe 2dr about 1.5inchs at the momment and i have a friend that did it and then installed new shocks and it rides great.

· Registered
1,615 Posts

You don't "NEED" new shocks because of this.
unless his old shocks were just bad already.

Scooby Dooby Doo !!!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #14 ·

hey shorts, you sound like you've done this before. the pic below your name shows your truck looking like stock height. is that an old pic or have you just not done it? if i do crank her up, i'm gonna do the before and after shots. i want a pic of my truck on there anyways.
when i do crank her up i'm gonna get longer shocks too.

· Registered
4,738 Posts

as always, shoprts hit the nail on the head. I"ve done this to my Z and love it. makes me feel a bit more comfoprtable about having the 285s on it. and best of all it stiffened up the ride a little bit. i wasn;t a fan of the "caddy" like ride when i first bought it. not it rides like a truck is supposed to....well i think i remember it riding like a truck. it's been so long since I've driven it i might be forgetting.
I went up 1.25" on the passenger side and 1" on the droivers side. measured on level concrete to the wheel well. tirns out i was off a quarter of a n inch. not something noticable, but i corrected it juyst becasue i could./wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif
when do you you get old blue back?
good luck to you,
---Peacock

96 Z-71 EXTcab, richmond 3.73, detroit rear, cold air, dual flowmasters, new drive-train

· Registered
4,199 Posts

everyones forgetting that caster and camber angles will have to be corrected after adjusting the torsion bars. when the trucks lifted by cranking the t-bars the tires tend to tilt in at the tops causeing the inside of the tred to wear. Caster is a non tire wearing ange, but it does affect how the truck will come to center when coming out of a turn. even raiseng the rear of the truck will affect caster to a small degree.

IF ITS GOT WHEELS OR A SKIRT YOU CANT AFFORD IT

G

·
Discussion Starter · #17 ·

Should have her back by end of next week. I went up to the shop yesterday before work and they had BigBlue in the paint shop. So that means they'll be painting it for like two days or something and then they are going to surface the new coat to make it match the rest of the truck. He says he will be getting into the steering/suspension/axle and all that stuff by monday or tuesday of next week. My rims are scheduled to arrive on the 19th. And I told the guy to go ahead and order the two Mud Terrains. So its looking like end of next week! I hate not having my truck. I have to drive mom's minivan, and everybody knows how that goes. When you drive a badass truck, you go somewhere and you dont see ANYBODY. When you're in mom's minivan, you go to the store and i swear to you I see every hot girl in my town on the way there. Its so not fair! I can smoke the tires off that dodge caravan though ;) ;) ;)

-Ryan S- 1994 Chevy Z-71 TwoTone Navy/Silver, 285/75/16 BFG Mud Terrains. Custom Flowmaster Dual Exhaust. K&N system. Custom Kenwood/Rockford Fosgate system, two 12" Rockford HE subs.

· Registered
4,199 Posts

So alignments are needed after the adjustments are made.
the only way I wouldnt have done an alignment after a t-bar crank was if I got less than .25"s either up or down.

IF ITS GOT WHEELS OR A SKIRT YOU CANT AFFORD IT

· Registered
6,042 Posts

ryan, glad to hear your truck is coming along. hey, don't knock the minivans too much, i've seen those things do some pretty wild stuff /wwwthreads_images/icons/laugh.gif you know what i though of? i was going to write to Fourwheeler mag and ask if they could do an all around test of like 4 or 5 different minivans, just for sh!#@ and giggles /wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif you know, some general street stuff, then get them in the dirt!!

72, i had my tbars cranked, then i dropped them for a while....now they're back up cause i got tired of the roll during turns and the girly way it looked from the front /wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif my sig pic has the tbars turned down. i have other pics with them turned up, so i'm going to be switching them out here in a little bit.

i haven't installed keys or even messed with the tbars in any way other than turning the adjusting bolts....i just do A LOT of reading and drawing and brainstorming and lookin' at pics of everything i'm getting involved in /wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif i know, i sound possessed, but there's no other way to understand about stuff unless i got really involved /wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif /wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif

G

·
Discussion Starter · #20 ·

aw kid, i was gonna crank her up man! now you got me thinking about those caster/camber angles. is that something an alignment shop would have to reset? and what is this "sum toe in" angle?

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.