Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, had a chance to shake down my new 4.56's and full Detroits, front a rear (on road). I really think they get a bad rap, once you know how they will react, they are not unmanageable.

But a little humor none-the-less.
Top 10 Things said by new locker drivers:

10) (POW!) Oh, that did NOT sound good.
9) Are you sure they're supposed to sound like that?
8) What an exhilerating lane change! Too bad it was on a one lane bridge.
7) I love the smell of traction in the morning. It smells like victory.
6) I think my Jeep is part bird or dog, it chirps and barks all the time now.
5) Bet you didn't think a Jeep could beat you off the line on wet roads did you Rice-boy?
4) Look mom, no hands!
3) You should have seen the look of abject terror on their faces as my locker engaged right there next to them (POW!)
2) No, no it's ok honey, the Jeep is supposed to sound like that now.
And the number one thing said by new locker drivers:
1) No officer I have not been drinking. Why was I driving erratically? Well this company called Tractech makes this thing called a locker....

'83 CJ-7 nothing original but the tub and axle tubes

G

·
One thing you gotta be especially careful of with a locker in the rear on the street is tire pressure. You must keep those tire diameters the same, it cuts down a bunch on the locker popping, unwinding, whatever. Check your tire pressure several times a week.

Brad
ORC Land Use Editor
Land Use
VP RockGarden 4 Wheelers, Aztec, NM
RockGarden 4 Wheelers

·
Registered
2,687 Posts
Just switched to 4.56's and a detroit in a dana 44 rear 3 weeks ago and am really impressed with the detroit's smoothness. Compared to the lockright I had for 3 years I would think I have an open diff on the road. The lockright was just fine, but it really let you know it was there on pavement tight turns,parking lots etc and required coasting into tight spots. The detroit's quiet locker design is outstanding. Rarely hear a pop or click.

Anyone thinking of a locker should go detroit. And if you've suffered from anemic jeep syndrome, 4.56's are sure the ticket to put some bounce back in your step.

Tim

84 CJ7, 258, HEI, M/C 2100 carb, 5 inch lift, RS9000's, 33x12.5 BFG M/T's, 4.56's and Detroit softlocker, full cage & belts, Xenon flares, Dana 44 rear, GM dual diaphragm brake booster

·
Registered
654 Posts
Here is the one thing I kept sayin after I installed my locker up front..."How the hell did I make it over that?"

97 TJ 4" Superlift, 33x9.5 BFG

79 CJ-5 2.5" Procomp, 31" Coop's, Lock Right up front

·
Registered
553 Posts
Tim, do you think a set of 4.56's would help my anemic jeep that has 5.38's??? /wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif

TX 4X4 club Arlington Chapter

·
Registered
2,687 Posts
I guess the next step would be 13" rims and low profile tires!

Tim

84 CJ7, 258, HEI, M/C 2100 carb, 5 inch lift, RS9000's, 33x12.5 BFG M/T's, 4.56's and Detroit softlocker, full cage & belts, Xenon flares, Dana 44 rear, GM dual diaphragm brake booster

·
Registered
1,340 Posts
12) WooooHooooo!!!!!!
13) What you needed 4-WD for that??

They that can give up essential
liberty to obtain a little temporary
safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts