Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Need your opinion. To weld the diff or get lockers.need to hear pro and cons on this. I can get the welding done before the Melt, but the locker would have to come latter, since the budget is almost depleted right now. thanks in advance for your opinions.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Personally I would wait and get a locker. Everyone that I know that has welded their diffs tend to be the ones always breaking their drivetrain on the trails. Plus with a locker, if you at some point want to go back to open diffs you can.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
with it welded i think you will find that you loose a lot of power.... not that we have much to loose.... think about it hard b4 you do something you cant undo

·
Registered
1,795 Posts
>>>with it welded i think you will find that you loose a lot of power<<<

Being a person that has a welded rear diff, I'd like to know "how" I'm losing power.

If you want to or can get a locker, just wait to get it. If you dont want to get a locker, and dont mind taking a chance with a welded rear, go for it, I did. With that, I also have enough spare stuff if it did break that I could swap and keep going.

·
Registered
2,018 Posts
Do a search there was an extensive thread about this along time ago. My feeling is that if you don't mind risking your 3 member then do it. I know of peaple that have had welded diffs for years, and some that have them a shor time before they break. My feelings are weld the rear and lock the front. I also don't know how you would "loose power" Same as a spool, your just locking your tires together.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
the way i see it you will loose power from having to spin 1 wheel around every corner you go around... it will bind to some degree

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Actually, when you install a locker or weld the diff you should notice an increase of power because of the way torque is now evenly applied. You get a more "direct forward" application of power from the rear wheels which I noticed right away with my lockrite. There is (almost) no binding in the turns with a lockrite because one wheel will "ratchet" when forced to spin at a different rate than the other IF you are not applying full power. With full pedal you'll get two rear tires doin' there best to GET SOME! I was thinking of welding it but IM GLAD I WAITED AND YOU WILL BE TOO!
These are MY findings only.

·
Registered
2,844 Posts
I got two samis, one welded and one with a locker. I never was a fan of welding. My second sami was on a budget so I welded it just to save $170. Being cheap actually paid off for once, I like it alot more then the locker, the only downfall is some chirping turning into parking spaces, normal driving there is no indication its back there (unlike a locker). If welded correctly it will hold up fine. As far as not being able to go back to stock, IF you ever decide to, take about $50-$75 of the $170 you saved from not buying a locker and buy a stock third member and sell the welded third to someone who dosent weld for $75-$100. Thats my opinion though, weld the rear and throw the locker in the front

·
Registered
2,009 Posts
i have gone from a welded rear to a locker the handling was better with the welded as well as knowing what it was going to do ( no pulling to the side) the locker is getting better as it breaks in but if it werent for all the city driving I do I would put it up front and put the welded in the rear but one sugestion would be to find another carrier to weld so that later if you choose you can go back to a locker

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Ive had both and im for welded all the way.... Better handling, less noise. A locker still chirps the tires around a corner anyway unless you go fast and coast around the corner. If you take your time and weld it right you arent gonan break it

·
Registered
2,890 Posts
With a welded center or a solid spool you will get added wear at the splines. (will we ever have one available for zukes?) a locker or limited slip minimizes this wear. It occurs because of the binding in turns. If its a trail only vehicle, its probably not an issue. Think about the pros and cons if its multipurpose.

-Outlaw, Why? because it can!

·
Registered
2,381 Posts
I think I ran up a 50 post arguement on this topic not to long ago the thing is that it puts a lot of stress and can wear off with certain size tires and such things if you are gonna run lil tires no prob but the bigger beef you put on it the more stress it puts on itself if you really want an all time locker then get a spool it will save you headaches altho if you dont like the feature of a welded rear or front then do not put these in there they are basically like a welded diff without the weld! might be a good idea to get lockrights if you have the money then again I like to save as much as possible myself!

·
Registered
2,009 Posts
if you realy want a spool talk to brent at trail tough he has built and sold them but he doesnt like to he feels they are not a good way to do this (but if enough people want them then maybe he will make them again)

G

·
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
If you're going to weld it and you,yourself are not a welder have it done by a professional. I've seen a few botched spools, where people thought they were a welder. This is another place not to learn how to weld!!!
ROB

·
Registered
508 Posts
i don't think so mnrnr....... i'v had the welded rear for about 4 months now with no notice of power increase or decrease....... still the exact same, just works alot better off-road now......
...... i love the welded diff......... never had problems with it yet.....although it was done proficnally too.......

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.