Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, there is only one tell-tale difference between all the models that I can notice - the position and style of the lights. Other than that, what are some specific differences between the 3? Do the YJ and CJ use leaf springs and does the TJ use coils? What is stock size for the wheels on each model? (Stock for TJs seem to be smaller.) I'm just curious to find out ways that I can tell the difference between all these Jeeps.

Not only that, but what are some of the obvious differences between CJ-5s and CJ-7s?

·
Registered
4,143 Posts
CJ-5s have rounded door openings. Early CJ-5s have the gas tank under the driver's seat and the filler for it is right behind the driver's side door opening. Later CJ-5s have the gas tank in the rear and the filler in the lower rear passengers corner. Also- more rounded fenders and round render flares in the rear. Leaf-sprung and round headlights.

CJ-7s have the gas tank filler in the lower rear passengers corner, rounded fenders and round fender flares in the rear. Leaf-sprung and round headlights.

YJs have the gas tank filler hidden behind the liscence plate in the lower rear drivers corner, flatter fenders and squared fender flares in the rear. leaf-spring and square headlights.

TJs have the gas tank filler in the upper rear/side drivers corner, flatter fenders (than CJs) and sqared fender flares (front flares have triangular lights in the front/side of them). Coil-sprung and round headlights.

There are other differences such as tailgates, rollbars, hoods, hood latches, grill angles, windshield angles, trim packages...the list goes on and on! They just keep the changes subtle for the most part, until you are addicted enough to notice them!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Short and narrow, long and wide? I prefer short and narrow, like a 71 cj5(with real jeep round headlights) HaHaHa

·
Registered
269 Posts
gosh, I was afraid this was gonna be a thread asking which is best of the many models. To me that is obvious, the flatfenders ;)

the cj2a, cj3a, mb and m38 models have a dog-eared door opening much like the cj5, and of course the fenders are flat, the mb models have sunken eyes, I mean headlights. The m38 headlights are kinda big. Cj-2a models have split windshields, while 3a's are one piece. I could go on, but these are some of the most obvious.

46cj2a beater and pile 0 parts.
75 cherokee parts pile

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.