Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
586 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just a quick question. I am asking this question for a friend that just bought a new tj wrangler. He wants to know the max tire size he can put on the jeep stock, and also with a 2 inch lift. he mainly uses the the jeep for street only, but it ocassionally sees a little mud and snow. thanks for the advice!!

G

·
On a stock TJ, max tire size would be 31x10.5. I wouldn't go bigger than a 32" with a 2" lift. If he uses the stock rims, he'll need to adjust the steering stops to prevent tire rub.

G

·
I think that 30x9.5 is actually as big as you can go on a stock TJ without rubbing as you go over bumps on the highway. Your friend should get himself a 2.5" lift for his suspension and then he can run 31x10.50's without problems when he takes it on the trail.

Good luck,
Axlesupagain
98TJ D44's 4.56 detroits 96XJ D30 D44 3.73 lockright

·
Registered
7,958 Posts
Timmo is right, 30x9.5's are the largest offered by the factory, but the 31x10.5's are the largest without a lift. We have run 31x10.5's for 55K now, and the only time we rub is when wheeling at full flex with the swaybar disconnected, and then it's only on the front coil towers, no problem. They stuff well, wear excellent, and I don't know why they're not offered as an option from the factory. BTW, there is no rubbing going over bumps on the highway. Keep in mind not all tires measure the same. BFG tends to run a little small whereas Swampers run accurate or large. I hope this helps and good luck.

JEEPN
'97 TJ Sport
'81 CJ-8 Scrambled!
'71 Commando SC-1
'51 CJ-3A
'47 CJ-2A

·
Registered
2,076 Posts
Just what I was going to ask JEEPN......... my factory stock(99 Sahara) 30 x 9.50r15 are actually 28.5 x 8.5's .......allegedly I was only able to get these tires as a "package" with the Sahara's wider fender flares and the factory suspension upgrade (higher pressure gas shocks etc) ........"Gambler"???? package ...maybe (something like that)...

So ......when is a 30x9.50 really a 30" tire..........and is the 31x10.5 really a 31" tire?
So......if I found a set of new REAL 30"x9.50"r15's ......it seems like they would fit without trouble........right?

Gosh I remember when I first heard of Dick Cepek (75?) and his catologue showed how "not all 12.5 x 16.5 are alike.....I guess we haven't come all that far in 20+ years.

GeeAea

Figures don't lie ....... but liars sure do figure.

·
Registered
7,958 Posts
"So......if I found a set of new REAL 30"x9.50"r15's ......it seems like they would fit without trouble........right?"

Yes, they should fit.

"..........and is the 31x10.5 really a 31" tire?"

I think the 31x10.5 BFG's are actually 30.3" tall and just over 9" wide. My 265/75/16 BFG tires are supposed to be 10.4" wide, but they only measure 8.625" actual width contacting the road (not total width). Also keep in mind the tire will be taller or shorter based on the rim width. An 8" rim will cause the 31's to be a little shorter than a 7" rim, but they'll feel a more stable on the road. I can't say as I've seen a true 30x9.5 tire, but I'm sure they exist. But what should it matter what the tire size is acutally called, as long as it works well and doesn't cause problems.

I also have the 8" wide rims, and while the jeep is plenty stable on the road, the rims take quite a beating off-road, so be careful. We also got the 30x9.5's as a package on our Sport, with the HPG shocks, one of which is shot. I like the style of the new rims vs the old though, very sharp.

BTW, the TJ went back to the garage last night, radiator and upper tank are having a disagreement and starting to separate. Figured it was a good time to have the cassette replaced as the tape deck stopped working. Thank goodness for the extended 6/100K warranty.

JEEPN
'97 TJ Sport
'81 CJ-8 Scrambled!
'71 Commando SC-1
'51 CJ-3A
'47 CJ-2A

G

·
Any good tire store will have the specs from the manufacturer on the "real" measurements when place on a certain size of wheel. Also, the width when you see 10.5 isn't the tread width. It is the section width of the tire at its widest point when looking at it from the side.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.