Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
227 Posts
I've got the factory service manual for my '98 at home, it lists any special tools, I'll check tonight and see what it says and get back to you tomorrow.

Rob

The beer I had for breakfast wasn't bad, so I had one more for dessert.

·
Registered
227 Posts
I looked at my factory service manual last night. There is a "special tool" required to get at the seal in the transfer case. Like ontherocks said, tools have a way of leaving shops. However, if this is the second time the dealer has looked at the problem, then you shouldn't be paying a dime. If they didn't fix it the first time, any decent dealer will do it again for free. Keep your cool though.

Rob

·
Registered
227 Posts
Jersey:

No, this one I bought right from Chrysler. It's the same book the tech's use at the dealerships. It's been my experience that Chrysler dealers may sell Jeeps, but they haven't got a clue how to fix them. Oh sure they can do an oil change, brake service, stuff like that. Ask them to look at anything 4WD related and they become stupid.

I think the technicians spend too much time working on MiniVans and not enough time on Jeeps.

That sucks that it's going to take a week to get the "tool". Make darn sure they don't hose you on the repair. It sounds to me like you had them try before and they screwed up. You probably paid for that right? No way you pay anything now. I'd make a big stink about it, tell them you will go find another dealer to do your service work. (Dealers make ALL their money on parts and service) If they're smart, they don't want negative publicity going around.

Hope this helps, I'll bring my manual into work tomorrow and give you a better description of the tool and what it does. My guess is - any decent mechanic could fab one up out of spart parts.

Rob

·
Registered
227 Posts
Okay, I've got my manual in front of me. These T-Cases are tricky - there is probably someone on here that knows more than I do. But here goes:

Once the Speedo adapter is removed (easy), you need a special puller to get the rear slinger off the output shaft. Basically this puller attaches itself to the output shaft and clamps on the slinger. There is a threaded tube that attaches to the output shaft, which is turned and the clamps pull the slinger off.

Once the slinger is off, a snap ring and a stop spacer are removed and the output shaft seal can be accessed.

I think this is what they need the tool for (slinger puller). I don't have a scanner, otherwise I would post a picture of it.

As far as respect goes - I'm 28, I've had no problem with respect for a while now (over 5 years) however, I must look older than I am because people think I'm 35 - 40.

I just treat people, how I would like to be treated. In this case though, it sounds like the service manager is being a dink. Ask to speak to the general manager or the owner. Tell him you are dissatisfied with the service you are receiving. Maybe then things will change.

Maybe not though, sometimes the whole dealership sticks up for each other. Next step, talk to Chrylser, these dealers get money based on satisfaction surveys. If Chrylser finds out you are dissatisfied, they will penalize the dealer. Is there another dealer you can take it to. If so, before you move it from one dealer to another, talk to the service manager, explain your problem and see if he knows whats going on.

Like I said before, some Chrylser dealerships are clueless when it comes to Jeeps, others are almost like experts and it all depends on the service manager.

Remember keep your cool, people hate it when they are mad, but the person they are arguing with is still calm.

Hope this helps:

Rob

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.