Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all TJ Owners,

I just got off the phone with the dealer cause they are still trying to fix my TJ. MY Tcase has been leaking out of the rear seal. I have changed the seal myself about 3 times, a local garage 2, and now the dealer for the second time. They just told me that there is a special tool to install this seal?? And that they won't have the tool until tomorrow... WHAT? JEEP DEALER doesn't have the tool?

IS THERE A SPECIAL TOOL?

Thanks to anybody who can answer this question.. .THANKS!

84CJ7 SOA,35's,OnboardAir,Dual winches,Full Cage,Snorkels, and more
OverMost 4WD Club
JerseyWheelers Club

·
Registered
490 Posts
I can't help you with the seal, but if it continues to leak, I would demand the dealer install a new transfercase. Sounds like it might be a bad 'case.

(This was assuming your TJ was still under warranty. Too bad it isn't.)

"We're gonna need a bigger boat." --Jaws

·
Registered
227 Posts
I've got the factory service manual for my '98 at home, it lists any special tools, I'll check tonight and see what it says and get back to you tomorrow.

Rob

The beer I had for breakfast wasn't bad, so I had one more for dessert.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
sound to me like their trying to jerk you around.

JR
Everyone has to believe in something, I believe I'll have more lift.

·
Registered
313 Posts
the only thing I could think of would be a special crimper for the hose clamp that holds the boot on. Although I would hardly call it special, a set of knippers would work. I had to have the aluminum housing replaced on mine to get it to quit leaking. The counterbore that the seal fits in was oversize or out of round, probably from replacing the seal three or four times. I would also think that it would be pretty easy to distort the bore, prying the old one out. I have my old housing here at my desk, the counterbore measures 2.570-2.571 inches. My .02

If your kidneys don't hurt, it's not a real Jeep!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
take it to more than one place. A lot of dealerships and what not will try to jerk you around like you don't know what the helss going on. I'd take it to get looked at somewhere else

Give me some fresh air, and give me that farm, give me some time with you in my arms, cause I'm gonna feed my soul, where the black top ends...

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Tools have a way of walking out of shops. Just cause they dont have one now, doesnt mean they never had one... Just another viewpoint.

·
Registered
227 Posts
I looked at my factory service manual last night. There is a "special tool" required to get at the seal in the transfer case. Like ontherocks said, tools have a way of leaving shops. However, if this is the second time the dealer has looked at the problem, then you shouldn't be paying a dime. If they didn't fix it the first time, any decent dealer will do it again for free. Keep your cool though.

Rob

G

·
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hey Rob,

What manual are you looking at? the factory manual meaning the one that comes with the jeep? I am really suprised that the dealer has NEVER had to use this tool. He has never needed it before.. I just called and they won't have the tool until NEXT WED!!!!! the 15th!!!

OverMost 4WD Club
JerseyWheelers Club

·
Registered
227 Posts
Jersey:

No, this one I bought right from Chrysler. It's the same book the tech's use at the dealerships. It's been my experience that Chrysler dealers may sell Jeeps, but they haven't got a clue how to fix them. Oh sure they can do an oil change, brake service, stuff like that. Ask them to look at anything 4WD related and they become stupid.

I think the technicians spend too much time working on MiniVans and not enough time on Jeeps.

That sucks that it's going to take a week to get the "tool". Make darn sure they don't hose you on the repair. It sounds to me like you had them try before and they screwed up. You probably paid for that right? No way you pay anything now. I'd make a big stink about it, tell them you will go find another dealer to do your service work. (Dealers make ALL their money on parts and service) If they're smart, they don't want negative publicity going around.

Hope this helps, I'll bring my manual into work tomorrow and give you a better description of the tool and what it does. My guess is - any decent mechanic could fab one up out of spart parts.

Rob

G

·
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Hey,

Thanks for getting back to me. I appreciate your help. I really didn't believe that there was a special tool. Yes, I did pay $108 the first try... They said they would take care of it for me.

I am just not having fun... "charley" in Service is the manager and he never calls me when he says he will, Every time I call him (about 15 times now) he never knows who I am, what jeep is mine, whats wrong with my jeep, etc. I realize they are busy and have a lot of jeeps there.. The first time they had it for 1 week, now we are there again for another week.. He should know my life history by now. Right out side his office is a notice saying that he is customer service person of the month.... I have gotten no service at all.. I wish I wasn't 24. What age do I have to be to get some respect?

yes, I would like to get more info about this tool. I am going to ask charley if I can see it when I pick the jeep up next month.

Thanks for listening to me vent :)

OverMost 4WD Club
JerseyWheelers Club

·
Registered
227 Posts
Okay, I've got my manual in front of me. These T-Cases are tricky - there is probably someone on here that knows more than I do. But here goes:

Once the Speedo adapter is removed (easy), you need a special puller to get the rear slinger off the output shaft. Basically this puller attaches itself to the output shaft and clamps on the slinger. There is a threaded tube that attaches to the output shaft, which is turned and the clamps pull the slinger off.

Once the slinger is off, a snap ring and a stop spacer are removed and the output shaft seal can be accessed.

I think this is what they need the tool for (slinger puller). I don't have a scanner, otherwise I would post a picture of it.

As far as respect goes - I'm 28, I've had no problem with respect for a while now (over 5 years) however, I must look older than I am because people think I'm 35 - 40.

I just treat people, how I would like to be treated. In this case though, it sounds like the service manager is being a dink. Ask to speak to the general manager or the owner. Tell him you are dissatisfied with the service you are receiving. Maybe then things will change.

Maybe not though, sometimes the whole dealership sticks up for each other. Next step, talk to Chrylser, these dealers get money based on satisfaction surveys. If Chrylser finds out you are dissatisfied, they will penalize the dealer. Is there another dealer you can take it to. If so, before you move it from one dealer to another, talk to the service manager, explain your problem and see if he knows whats going on.

Like I said before, some Chrylser dealerships are clueless when it comes to Jeeps, others are almost like experts and it all depends on the service manager.

Remember keep your cool, people hate it when they are mad, but the person they are arguing with is still calm.

Hope this helps:

Rob

1 - 14 of 14 Posts