Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Am replacing the stock p/s pump with a pump from AGR that probably fits a full size Chev P/U. It is about an inch or so longer and bigger around than the stock pump. Will not fit in the same place as the stock pump, but because of the length it would force the pully too far forward to line up with the rest of the pullys even if it would fit in the same mounting holes. Am also installing a cooler on the return line and a remote tank. Change is being made to make the MileMarker 10,500 work better.
Question:
Where to put it?
a) below and behind stock location
b) above and behind stock location
c) somewhere else.
Will obviously have to fab brackets for it. Have all the equipment to do that. I have not pulled it to look at the mounting, but was hoping someone may have done this or a similar swap so that I might have a preview on what to look for when I start this mod. 6 cyl TJ with A/C, BTW, and very little room left under the hood.
If anyone is interested and needs some close up pictures, I have a digital camera and can get a photo from the veh to the e-mail in about 3 minutes.
Talked myself into taking a picture. See attachment. The size difference is obvious, however, it is not as great as it appears in the picture. The new pump is closer to the camera and appears a bit bigger than it really is. It is bigger though, and the forward distance is about right too.

Doug '97 TJ
My Web Site

Attachments

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Am trying to stay with the same length serp belt. If mounting is above stock mount, belt probably would not be long enough without seriously reworking the idler pully and bracket, and might not even be long enough then. If I mount below stock location the idler pully will have to be moved a long distance to take up the slack in the belt, and am not sure the belt could wrap is such a way as to have enough contact with the p/s pully.

Doug '97 TJ
My Web Site

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif I will be no help/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif I'm not use to looking into aTJ engine.
Is the orginal power steering pump to the right or under the new
pump????My guess is right side.
Was AGR any help????

·
Registered
328 Posts
Any chance of making an off-set (like the ones used on a waterpump behind the fan) pulley work?

Loose nut behind the wheel
Another right-wing conservative.....
Born and raised in Jeep-Town

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Both AGR and I knew what I was getting into. Part of this project is to try to get something that works. If I can't do it, will return this pump and get one that is supposed to fit the TJ. That's already been arranged, but doubt seriously that I will have to do that. Orig pump is mounted to the right of the new "gold" one in the picture. The reservoir is mounted on the right of the pump as you look at it in the picture. New pump will have its reservoir mounted somewhere else and may even be an oversize specially built one. The new pump because of its increased volume and pressure will create more heat. This is being addressed with a cooler and possibly a larger reservoir.
The new pump is not a wildly "hopped up" pump. It is basically stock. Might have a little increase in psi, but practally speaking it is just a little "warmer" than stock. The difference is that it is just a bigger, heavier pump with greater psi and greater flow rate than the stock TJ pump, which is rather puny.

Doug '97 TJ
My Web Site

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The off set pully is really what I would like to do. Have given that some serious thought. Don't know if they are commercially available for this application, but do know that if worse comes to worse, I can machine one out of solid steel. Would prefer not to have to resort to that, however. My concern with this solution is whether the pump shaft is built to handle the pressure of the off set. It is normal for the water pump to have that off set so the shafts have been designed to accommodate that. Am not personally aware of a similar "normal" set up in p/s pump applications.

Doug '97 TJ
My Web Site

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Talked to AGR at the SEMA show. As you know the Stock TJ pump is too small to handle big tires, let alone the Milemarker. They are trying to modify a YJ pump but are having the space problems you mention. Advance Adaptors is working with them on the Braketry but were not optimistic they would find a solution (maybe next year). Hope some Yankee Tin Bender comes up with a solution.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
One of the guys from AGR who attended the show is the one I am dealing with at AGR. Advance Adapters was optimistic to begin with, but some of the bloom has left the rose so to speak, or it isn't a high priority issue. There is a definite need for this modification. The TJ pump is wimpy, mounting room is a premium, temp of the p/s fluid is a problem. Definite need for something better, and it would make sense to solve all the problems at the same time. All I looking for is someone who may have made this modification or a similar one. Any little trick you might have picked up, like an off set pully that may have had its origin in some totally unrelated application.

Doug '97 TJ
My Web Site

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Doug-
I looked at your picture and though I cannot help you with your TJ problem, I do have to say that in your picture I found heresy all over the place.
I found CLEAN! All over the place.
What gives? The rest of our inquiring minds want to know! Is this a manifestation of TJers? Or TJs?
Is it infectious, viral, bacterial, clonable or anything elseable? I'm worried! Do you feel alright?
Let us help you.
sln

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Doug,

I just got a hair brain idea/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif
Could you mount a York compressure in place of your power steering pump and
mount the power steering pump on the side of the york like CJDave was talking about.
Got to go check a web page out on belts should of done that first.
I tryed to go to a web page FNG put on the board but my computer would not fine and
or enter it.
www.onboardair.com
Thought they might have a serp. belt pulley for the york.you could kill two birds with one stone.
air and power steering.
Just a stupid idea I know but a thought.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Clean??? Truth is I am a better photographer than p/s pump installer. The "clean" is all in the camera. The TJ has over 50,000 miles on it, and if you see it in person, there would be no doubt in your mind. It's been rode hard and put away wet more than once - old cowboy lingo. During it's about twice yearly wash, I squirt some high pressure water on the engine too, so is stays clean enough so that you can generally find the spark plugs on a fairly clear day. Sometimes have to hunt around for the oil dip stick though.

Doug '97 TJ
My Web Site

G

·
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Funny you should mention the York. Just got finished making a bracket to mount a York on a CJ that has a '93 Cherokee 6 cyl being installed in it. Want to see the old fat man milling a slot in one side of a new York bracket? Click on the attached photo. If looking at old fat men making chips doesn't turn you on, don't bother. Nothing else remarkable about the picture. /wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif Only reason I have these pictures is that the guy building up the CJ is documenting all of it with pictures. His digital camera ran out of power so he used mine. Was in the process of e-mailing him the pictures when I ran accross your post.
As for puting the York in the same place as the old p/s pump, there is not enough room. The York is too tall, and it would have to be mounted above where the p/s pump is now. Wouldn't fit under the hood.

Doug '97 TJ
My Web Site

Attachments

·
Registered
6,355 Posts
/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif Gee, Doug......that photo makes my Bridgeport finger hurt./wwwthreads_images/icons/frown.gif....or was it my thumb?/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif I don't make many chips these days, but still like to see machine work going on....especially if it is SOMEONE ELSE doing it./wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gifHeh heh...

CJDave

G

·
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Well, truth is out. Seeing old fat men making chips turns you on!!! How did you like that "Tower of Babel" setup? Since the table does not move up and down like your Bridgeport, one has to build up to the quil. Actually it was a pretty solid setup. I was pleased. Used some V-blocks, then built up with blocks out of a clamp set and bolted it all down to the table.

Doug '97 TJ
My Web Site

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.