Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4,767 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 97 tj has a barely audible "Gear" Noise Sounds like it is comming from the rear axel. It occurs when I let the engine break it's self, and sometimes on excelleration. I was thinking wheel berrrings, but they usualy make noise in corners and this does not, All oil levels are ok, and all fluid looks ok, Any Ideas??

97 TJ 31's and mostly stock but seeing what I can do about that..

G

·
Do you have a trac-loc? Take the cover off and inspect it. The clips holding my clutch pacs broke and shattered my axle shaft in the diff!

How come my daily driver sounds like a B52?

G

·
Do you have a trac-loc? Take the cover off and inspect it. The clips holding my clutch pacs broke and shattered my axle shaft in the diff! The axle took out the drum and back plate on one side. (not to mention sliding out a foot while going around a turn)

How come my daily driver sounds like a B52?

·
Registered
7,958 Posts
YES! Get underneath it and grab the pinion yoke, try to move it.

Now remove the back cover and look at the rear end. Ours did this, but not when coasting, and the pinion bearing went, chowdered (technical term, not a good thing) the whole rear end. Luckily it was rebuilt by the dealership under extended warranty, but it cost them $1,115. It sounds exactly like ours, I hope it's not for your sake.

JEEPN
Winter Harbor, Maine
'81 CJ-8 Scrambled, It's a Jeep, Chevy, IHC kinda thing!
'88.5 Zuki, 5" Calmini, Locked, Swamped, Rolled, and just generally broken in right!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.